Fans not working

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
Since I've taken up gaming I've been paying particular attention to CPU core percentages and fan speed. I have a Rainmeter Widget that shows bar graphs for the individual cores. I've seen it peg all four cores at 100% for almost 10 minutes during game installation. The fans never came on. I used to hear the fans and feel heat coming from the air ports on the back. But lately they're not coming on at all. I tried out a hardware info widget and that showed the core temps to never go over about 45° Celsius. Also it never feels over just slightly warm on the outside. There's a conflict between the Dell system monitors and HWInfo that caused horrible sounding noises from the speakers so I removed it. I've tried to find a way to just turn on the fans manually but haven't found one. I can't find anything in the BIOS about it. Dell Support says my drivers are all up to date.

A few days back I tried to roll back the latest Windows Insider test version and it broke my system. I downloaded and burned a Windows disk and did a clean install. That seemed to go well. I'm not going back to the Windows Insider Program.

The back comes off all in one piece and is held on with just one screw. When I remove it I never see a hint of dust.

The first time SFC said there were violations that couldn't be fixed. I ran the DISM Restore Health thing. The second time SFC said it found violations and fixed them. The third time it came up clean.

Once in a while it gets a little balky when I first try to go online. Task manager says it's a DNS thing when it happens and it clears up pretty fast. It never gives me reason to think heat is causing problems. Once in a while Windows Update takes over and it runs a little weird. Then it comes up saying a reboot is required to apply updates. That's when I realize W/U has been running.

It all seems pretty normal to me except the fans don't come on anymore.

It's an Inspiron 15 7559. I did do the SSD upgrade and doubled the RAM. It handles any graphic challenges I throw at it with ease. I'm very happy with it.

Honestly if it isn't overheating I wouldn't worry about. The computer will shutdown if it starts to overheat.

Yeah you're probably right. I'm sure not going to send it to Dell and spend a lot of money. My warranty has ended and the extended warranty was too expensive. I'll keep this on the back burner and research some more when I don't have anything better to do.

Seeing as you are out of warranty you could try buying a replacement fan and installing it yourself. Though the fans might be just fine it could be a power issue.

Some mobo's have utility suites so you can see temps and fan speeds etc. For example Asus have an AIsuite which allows direct access to fans and a lot of other functions. Might check if yours has such software available. I have mine removed at moment because it's overhead I don't need but was very useful in setting up and checking fans as I have a custom case with extra fans and needed to monitor for a while to ensure optimum temps.

My fans are working again. I've reinstalled Windows recently and that must have fixed it. Thanks yall.

Hi Stuey,
have you tried using HWiNFO64?

The neat thing about the app is that you get a history of what was the highest, lowest and average recordings:

sensors.jpg

I can't use that. It conflicts with the Dell installed monitor and I get horrible noises from the speakers. Anyway it looks like my fans are fine now. Thanks for the suggestion buddy.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Glad to hear your system is working fine Stuey, how are you getting on with the gaming?

What are you currently playing?

I've been setting up some other stuff lately. I tried the Windows Insider thing again. I really want that dark file manager. But, of course, it broke something I won't be without again. This time it was ESET. So I rolled it back and that required another reset. Maybe by the time the Redstone 5 build goes mainstream ESET will work right with it.

Maybe they think Windows Defender is good enough but I sure don't. I'm pretty sure WD doesn't update virus definitions hourly. I'll get back to gaming as soon as I get things like I want them again. I just wish the Insider Program was more accomodating.

Plus I've been job hunting lately.

Last edited:
I gave up on the insiders awhile back, though curiosity keeps nagging me to check them out. I've found WD and Malwarebytes work well with low resource usage.

The thing is I saw enough of the dark file explorer to realize I'll never be satisfied til I have it. I really really don't like white backgrounds. I do whatever is required to not have them. But I'm not giving up ESET and the Classic Start Menu. Insider builds have broken both of them now.

I really like ESET. I don't set it to block all potentially unwanted stuff. What can I say? I'm a little bit adventurous when I'm on the Internet. I've been using it for close to fifteen years now and I've caught only one virus in all that time. And that was my fault. I told it to allow something that it was calling a threat. I did try Kaspersky for one year. I felt like it was trying to control me. And at that time it was taking a long time and bogging down my system for the virus definition updates. Maybe it's better now and I have a much more powerful system but I don't see myself giving it another try. With ESET I do pretty much whatever I want and it saves me whenever I do something wrong. It's very good.

I'm not going to get up on my soapbox over the start menu now. I've been bitching about that for years.

Last edited:
Same as Rich, I gave up on Insiders a while ago. After 10 years of being an MVP I've had enough of jumping through hoops for Microsoft.

I'm back to my first love of gaming and system building ( although I'm a year away from upgrading ).

My system needs a major strip down and refurbish.

The Liquid cooler hasn't been out of the case since it's fitting 2yrs ago! Although I keep my system as free from dust as best i can it still builds up in nooks and crannies so a spring clean is needed.

I had it at one time but then the next version broke Classic Shell. Then I tried again and ESET wouldn't work. I've had it with new versions breaking my favorite stuff.

Whats up with the start menu and a tease of the dark explorer :D

View attachment 36670

You're showing the Dark Explorer but that's not my Start Menu. This is mine.

Attachments

• apps.jpg
    apps.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 443
  • Programs.jpg
    Programs.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 419
  • Control Panel.jpg
    Control Panel.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
As I'm in Kubuntu the start on this if you hate windows new one won't be for you. ;)

Screenshot_20180808_140950.png

Yeah I've played with the tiles thing in the native start menu a little. I used to be concerned about the active tabs that changed constantly. I thought it was too much overhead. But my current computer is the first one I've had with any balls. I used to freak out when I'd find that I was using 70-80% of my RAM. Those days are over.

I've never had much luck with Linux. But then, I'm still just a geek wannabe. I don't know. If you guys kept twisting my arm hard enough I might become a little less hardheaded. But hey, that's not your concern.

Last edited:
Back