Windows 10 File Explorer not displaying Network folders

djchapple

Extraordinary Member
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 5000 running Windows 10 Pro connect by cable to a Synology DS218j LAN storage device..

On my desktop I have placed a shortcut to the Network on my desktop. I did this by dragging the Network Folder from My Computer onto the desktop.

When I double click on the network shortcut on my desktop I can see a folder for my Synology device and if I double click on that folder I bring up the log-in page for the Synology device; not a list of folders as I require.

If I go into File Explorer and type in \\192.168.x.x, in to the search box (the static IP address for the Synology device) I get a list of folders as required

So the information I require about the LAN device is available in the laptop but how do I get a short cut to in on the desktop?

Thanks for this very helpful reply. offering a very simple solution; I used the right click on desktop approach.

I am always amazed at the power of forums. There is usually someone around, with the knowledge i sadly lack, to cme forward and help.

In the post I found If you like my post & I was helpful -- PLEASE consider giving KIN...

I would like to show my appreciation but I am not sure what is asked of me!

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 5000 running Windows 10 Pro connect by cable to a Synology DS218j LAN storage device..

On my desktop I have placed a shortcut to the Network on my desktop. I did this by dragging the Network Folder from My Computer onto the desktop.

When I double click on the network shortcut on my desktop I can see a folder for my Synology device and if I double click on that folder I bring up the log-in page for the Synology device; not a list of folders as I require.

If I go into File Explorer and type in \\192.168.x.x, in to the search box (the static IP address for the Synology device) I get a list of folders as required

So the information I require about the LAN device is available in the laptop but how do I get a short cut to in on the desktop?

Because of the UAC, and the Shell runs with standard user permissions, it can't see mapped drives which were configured by your application running with admin rights. So, try the following workaround step by step on your windows or
virtual desktop:

• Click Start, type regedit in the Start programs and files box, and then press ENTER.
  • Locate and then right-click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
  • Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  • Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.
  • Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.
  • In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  • Exit Registry Editor, and restart the computer.
Regards,
Adrian

Back