Windows 7 File Location Problem

Tayu

Okay, firstly, I hate the look and feel of Windows 7 more than I ever thought was possible.
In my quest to get it to look nicer, I ran into numerous issues with folders. For one, right inside the default Library thing, there were folders for Music and Video which I didn't even want there. So, I deleted them
Surprise surprise, they came back. So, I Right+clicked, and went to location. I didn't read it all the way, and I should have, and I hit "Move" then I went to C:\Program Files (x86)
I did this for Video and Music folders alike, and now I have two folders in the Library called "Program Files (x86)"

I can NOT delete them, because that would also delete the one in C:\
I can NOT restore default because there is a Non redirectable folder in the same path.
In trying to get rid of folders that I'll never use, I just replaced them with folders that I REALLY don't want there, and I don't know how to get it back to the way it was.

Can anyone please help with this issue?

Sorry, but I am having trouble finding your exact procedure. Where did you right click and choose move?

If you right click the library and choose properties, can you just remove the extra folder?

Sorry, slow server response....

Last edited:
As Saltglass suggests, could you clarify a bit: check what folders you have moved (or maybe just made their shortcuts), and where are those folders exactly located on your hard drive right now. Exactly where do you have Program Files (x86), Video, and Music ?

Maybe you could screenshot all your problem folders and attach your screenshots here ?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

In the fourth picture is where I hit the button "Restore Default" Just in case that's not clear. Basically, those two folders used to be Video and Music, but when I hit that "Move" button, and went to c:\Program Files(x86) I thought I was moving the folders location TO there, and somehow it didn't work that way. Instead, I have two more Program Files (x86). They don't act like short cuts, from what I can tell. If I can into one of those two files, and delete something, then it's also deleted in c:\Program Files (x86). If I try to delete one of the two copy folders, then it asks if I want to delete it and all it's content which is roughly 3 gigs.

I ran into numerous issues with folders. For one, right inside the default Library thing, there were folders for Music and Video which I didn't even want there. So, I deleted them
Surprise surprise, they came back. So, I Right+clicked, and went to location. I didn't read it all the way, and I should have, and I hit "Move"
I am not sure we are talking about the Library here.

I can NOT delete them, because that would also delete the one in C:\
I can NOT restore default because there is a Non redirectable folder in the same path.
Have you gone to the Program Files (x86) folder to see if the video and music folders are there? If they are, can you move them back? Since I cannot duplicate your situation, I cannot test possible solutions.

Can you restore back before your moved them in the first place?

Okay, so music was there, and I moved it back, but both of the Copied folders seem to both be the old Video folder. I can't restore, or take it back to a previous version. I really have no clue what to do

If you right click on them and select the location tab, what does it say? Is one folder a "node" to the other one? Are the locations the same, which they really can't be?

Win 7 does use Nodes to represent updated folder locations, such as the Documents and Settings folder if you have one. It is not really a folder but a access point for older programs to use for compatibility.

The third picture above is what happens when I click on the Location Tab. I don't really know anything about these nodes, is there a way to check if one is a node? And if so, can I make them go away?

Sorry, I really can't recommend much since I don't have access and cannot replicate your situation.

If you open the program folders, what it in them?

The move dialog says current location is the Program folder and the new location is your user folder. Did you click on the move to new location and that is when you got the error?

Look at the files and see what is in them and where they actually are and try to get back where you were. As I mentioned, if you get tired, do a repair install which should fix everything.

Sorry, I can't read and comprehend all the answers above, but something basic seems to be missing. So if this is covered above forgive me.

The "folders" in FAVORITES and LIBRARIES are make believe. Virtual - they do not "delete" from there. But you can remove them and add others to the list from a rt clk on the folder. You can also do that with programs in the start menu by "pinning" them to the start menu or taskbar. I find it both useful and annoying, YMMV. The Favorites and Libraries "folders" can also be removed with a reg tweak. Strange folder behavior in left pane of Windows Explorer is the link to the thread. The tweak is a few months back.

Back
Top Bottom