Windows 7 File on desktop cannot be deleted because its not there

ozmart2012

I tried to download a PDF but something went wrong during the download and I ended up with a file icon on my desktop without any extension and having 0 bytes. When I try and delete this file icon I get the error message: Could not find item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Myname\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again.

This seems like a contradiction - Windows is showing a file icon on the desktop but then says there is no file there!

I have tried searching for a file by that name elsewhere and there is nothing. I have also tried cleaning the reg and doing a disk cleanup.

Any suggestions as to how to delete this useless file icon from my desktop?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sometimes when a down does not complete, it is given a .part extension. Also, you might check the downloader and remove any instance of it there.

If you can't find it normally in Windows, you might try using a command window, or booting to the WinRE and using the command window from there.

Hi

I have searched and found no .part files anywhere. I have also cleared the download list in Firefox.

I'm afraid I am not very familiar with using the cmd window apart from basic queries and I don't know what WinRE is, sry.

Thks anyway.

Back