Windows 7 File search fails

Blutarsky

Extraordinary Member
Overwhelmed by the information storm, in the web sphere, I still didn't get it how to perform an old fashioned file search.

I was looking for a file (extend.dat) in the Users folders and used Search to achieve this but it would not return any match, using the name: filter, wildcards, partial filename.

So I have opened a command prompt and type
Code:
dir extend.dat /s
"et voilà", the file was properly shown...

Is this a Windows Indexing problem?

If it is definately in the Users folder, something may be wrong with the index. Please try re-building the Windows Search Index by going to Start -> Indexing Options -> Advanced -> Rebuild

If you continue to have the problem, check to ensure that Users folder and all sub-directories are being indexed. This is accomplished under Indexing Options. Anything in the application data folders is not indexed to avoid issues.

To perform an "old fashioned" search of the entire drive, simply go to Computer -> C:\ and type in the file name

You will receive a warning that the search may take longer than normal.

Thanks for helping.

Where should I type the filename to search? I have tried in the upper right box, but nothing happens...

BTW, there should be to perform an old fashioned filesearch within a subfolder only.

I wonder why W7 does not index the whole list of filenames in the disk....

Will tryy to rebuild the index also.

The upper right-hand box is absolutely the right place. In fact, it will work in any non-indexed folder this way. Using the Start Menu search will only use the index.

Hi

I'm using "Locate32", for some reason I can't get the Windows 7 search to find stuff that I'm looking at in Windows Explorer.

Locate32 Web Site - Downloads

It seems to work well, just don't type the dot in the extension window, it will add another one and then it won't find anything because it will be looking for *..jpg!

It will add the Locate function to the right click download.

Mike

Back