Windows 10 Find or reset my Windows password?

SteveMann

Extraordinary Member
I have been logging on to my PC for years using just the PIN, but I have a program that requires my Windows password, and I can't recall it. I can't share folders without it, and I can't manage my credentials without it.
Can I change or reset the password after logging on with my PIN - AND not mess up access to my my credentials?

About passwords- I have a Microsoft Live account, and a half dozen logins on Roboform. I have a Microsoft Tech Net login, a OneDrive login and even a Developers login. All different. And none work on my desktop PC for the Windows Login.

Yes, if it's a local account then sign in with the pin. Press the start button and type cmd. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as Administrator'

Type net user USERNAME NEWPASSWORD
Replace USERNAME and NEWPASSWORD accordingly

Yes, if it's a local account then sign in with the pin. Press the start button and type cmd. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as Administrator'

Type net user USERNAME NEWPASSWORD
Replace USERNAME and NEWPASSWORD accordingly
Thanks. I've tried that and I get an error I haven't seen before:

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>whoami
river-2\steve

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user steve xyzzy
System error 8646 has occurred.

The system is not authoritative for the specified account and therefore cannot complete the operation. Please retry the operation using the provider associated with this account. If this is an online provider please use the provider's online site.

Sounds like you're using a email as your account or typically referred to as a MS account. You'll have to go online to reset it

Reset your password
Which one?? As I said above:

Code:
 I have a Microsoft Live account, and a half dozen logins on Roboform.
 I have a Microsoft Tech Net login, a OneDrive login and even a Developers login.
 All different. And none work on my desktop PC for the Windows Login.

I have tried the password for all of them to log in on Windows- none of them work.

What I really want to do is edit my credentials file because my main email no longer exists. It is an annoyance when Windows tries to use the login from the credentials manager that contains the old email as a login name.

What if I create a new admin account then log on to that new admin account? Would I be able to edit the credentials then?

You can switch to a local account.
  • Press [Windows key + i]
  • Click on Accounts
  • Click on 'Your Info'
  • Click on 'Sign in with a local account'

No, the first thing it asks for is the Windows login password.
Well that is the thing!
"I have been logging on to my PC for years using just the PIN"
So you must have logged on to your webmail to that account? And in that case you may use the "Web credentials" to retreive your password by selecting any logon to, lets say your online mail, and then using the "Show" and "MORE options"
Then you will be able to use your PIN (that you say you remember) to show the actual password..

Restart Windows computer.
Keep pressing the Shift key for about 5 times to open the Super Admin Account.
Then log into computer with Super Admin Account and open the Control panel and click on "Uers Profiles"And select your username.
In the end,you can edit the password for locked account.
In other words,the password can be reseted by this program.

Last edited:
Back