Windows 7 Firefox Works But Internet Explorer Is Broken

max53000

I have Windows 7 x64 installed with Kaspersky's v8.0.0.1015 Beta Antivirus (with Firewall) For Windows Workstations, call it "K" for short, set to its defaults. When K installed, it disabled the Windows firewall as I expected.

I can reach the internet with Internet Explorer when I boot Windows Vista 32 but not with IE x86 in Windows 7 x64. I tried disabling K, but IE was still broken. Out of curiousity, I tried installing Firefox v3.06 x86 in Windows 7 with K active and it worked instantly.

I downloaded the following Microsoft updates and installed them just before the problem started: KB962921, KB963660, KB967355, and KB967540. It might be worth a try to uninstall these updates one at a time and see if the problem vanishes.

If it doesn't, is there any way short of a repair install to fix the problem? I was going to do one, and thought I had completely disabled and exited K before starting Windows 7 setup, but a long narrow white rectangle with length about the size of all the icons in the task tray appeared with three announcements to the effect that "this port or that application had been blocked or allowed by default." So I bailed out.

Apparently I missed disabling one of K's multiple security programs. I clicked on help to investigate further, but it's in Russian. That doesn't change the fact that it was nice of Kaspersky to offer free beta security software for use with Windows 7 Beta.

I just wanted to report that since no one responded to this thread, I just tried to do a repair install of Windows 7. It failed. So I'll try again after reducing my ram to 2 GB. I found a few postings on the net about others encountering this problem but no solution. I did receive some message about needing to change the firewall policy regarding Sphinx-soft.com?

Sorry you have had no response. I have not heard of such a problem but, out of curiosity, will google as you did.
Shot in the dark - You are not, by chance, trying to use the IE 64bit? It is a little buggy and will need the java 64bit if you go on Java sites. At present, to add to the discomfort, there is still no Flash for IE 64bit.

Did you try to manually add IE7 to trusted in K? i had sucj problem in WinXP x64 with KAV6, solved out with adding IE7 to trusted anywhere i can =)
if you can't uderstand Russian, just give me the screenshot and i will help tou ;)

A brief response to XcommandeRX: Since I uninstalled Kaspersky (K) for the reason stated below, I never had to figure out how to add IE8 32, previously referred to as IE8 x86, to trusted in K.

I had to uninstall K Beta Antivirus and Firewall after it started demanding payment to continue using it. Obviously I erred when I mistakenly announced that K Windows 7 Beta Antivirus and Firewall was free. I apologize for my misstatement.

Then I googled, discovered that AVG Free worked with Windows 7 Beta 32 and 64, downloaded and installed it, and noticed that Windows firewall automatically had resumed.

It was troubling to me that neither K nor Windows firewall identified themselves as being responsible for blocking this or that program or IP address. When K was installed obviously the popup messages were generated by K, since Windows firewall was disabled. But when Windows firewall was reenabled after K was uninstalled, almost identical messages were emitted by Windows firewall, again without source identification. But after Windows firewall was set to "Enable All" and the popups finally reduced to that message alone and AVG Free was disabled, Internet Explorer was still broken. This can only mean that there is some other unknown cause that caused IE to quit.

Another thread in this forum stated that Internet Explorer could be broken by the installation of Microsoft's Silver Light, that Firefox also worked normally, and that the problem was fixed by uninstalling Silverlight.

I may have somehow let Silverlight be installed. I am testing Vista 32 right now with the Creative X-FI sound card disabled to see if that will stop a chronic frequent blue screening and rebooting problem, so I can't break away right now to boot Windows 7 Beta 64 and check for Silverlight, but I will be doing it soon.

Finally I know Windows 7 64 is a Beta, but has anyone been able to accomplish a repair install using it? After I removed 2 GB of my 4 GB of memory as I have to every time I install or repair any Windows operating system, I was astonished when the repair install failed just after it started with a corrupted installation media message.

(I had verified the MD5 hash for Microsoft's Windows 7 Beta 64 DVD ISO after downloading it off Microsoft's server, and burned and verified two separate copies of the installation DVD using Nero at two different burning speeds. Then I dropped the DVDs on two DVD drives, compared them using CdCheck, and was gratified to learn they were bit by bit identical in content.)

Having to my satisfaction eliminated the possibility of data corruption being present, I would consider this Windows 7 Beta 64 repair install failure a really troubling bug that needs to be fixed immediately. IMHO, Microsoft needs to get on the ball and release a patch for it immediately.

Finally the solution:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Happy Days Are Here Again.

For some reason my reply giving the link to the solution for my problem got appended to a previous reply of mine instead of being posted separately.

Because of this, I am trying it again.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Here is the solution. Happy days are here again. My only question is how in the world did that selection get made. I certainly never did it. Oh well, it's a beta. I might as well get over it.

Last edited:
This is long after your initial posts and I am talking about the commercial release (Win 7 32 bit) but I have had a similar problem with IE 8.0. It was intolerably slow (40-45 sec to access any web site). I removed all toolbars and that helped for surfing after the initial opening of IE. The first time I open it, regardless of which web site I am trying to go to, it takes 40-45 seconds to load the site. After that (with no toolbars), it will go to other sites normally (2-5 second access time) until I close and re-open IE. The first site is always slow. I installed Firefox (ver 3.5) and I have no such trouble. Very fast and consistent. I will try uninstalling silverlight but you would think Microsoft has already fixed that bug. If I can't improve that inital access time in IE, I will switch over full time to Firefox.

Robert

Back
Top Bottom