Firewall - Windows v BitDefender?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Mike Goodger, May 5, 2015.

1. Mike Goodger

Mike Goodger New Member

I am about to replace AVG Internet Security 2014 (paid) with BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2015 (paid), based on the good reviews of the latter.

But one of the reviews (I forget which) said that although BitDefender was better than AVG and Windows Security Essentials in general, the Windows Firewall was better than the BitDefender Firewall.

Any comments, please?

Regards,,
    Mike

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Mike,
    personally I'd use the anti-virus stuff but leave the windows firewall in place.

If you haven't already purchased Bit-Defender then may I offer a choice? Many of us here run a combination of Windows Defender (free with windows) and Malwarebytes (this also has a free version). These two apps work alongside each other with no problems at all and offer an excellent level of protection.

3. Mike Goodger

Mike Goodger New Member

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion. I use Malwarebyres Free now, I'll check what Defender does. Very confusing, all this security stuff!

Regards,
    Mike

4. Mike Goodger

Mike Goodger New Member

Does anyone else have any opinion re "Windows Firewall v BitDefender Firewall", please?
    Regards,
    Mike

5. Syex

Syex Well-Known Member

Windows Firewall may not actually be that bad, however, it isn't user friendly. There doesn't seem to be any kind of realtime activity window, it seems to hide what it does. I've yet to fully learn it. I wouldn't mind trying Bitdefender but I don't really want to get rid of Antivir.

6. Mike Goodger

Mike Goodger New Member

Thanks Syex, I've decided to try the paid version of BitDefender Plus for a year or so. I guess I'll use its Firewall too.
    Regards,
    Mike

Syex likes this.