Windows 7 Firewall - Windows v BitDefender?

Mike Goodger

I am about to replace AVG Internet Security 2014 (paid) with BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2015 (paid), based on the good reviews of the latter.

But one of the reviews (I forget which) said that although BitDefender was better than AVG and Windows Security Essentials in general, the Windows Firewall was better than the BitDefender Firewall.

Any comments, please?

Regards,,
Mike

Hi Mike,
personally I'd use the anti-virus stuff but leave the windows firewall in place.

If you haven't already purchased Bit-Defender then may I offer a choice? Many of us here run a combination of Windows Defender (free with windows) and Malwarebytes (this also has a free version). These two apps work alongside each other with no problems at all and offer an excellent level of protection.

Hi Mike,
personally I'd use the anti-virus stuff but leave the windows firewall in place.

If you haven't already purchased Bit-Defender then may I offer a choice? Many of us here run a combination of Windows Defender (free with windows) and Malwarebytes (this also has a free version). These two apps work alongside each other with no problems at all and offer an excellent level of protection.

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion. I use Malwarebyres Free now, I'll check what Defender does. Very confusing, all this security stuff!

Regards,
Mike

Does anyone else have any opinion re "Windows Firewall v BitDefender Firewall", please?
Regards,
Mike

Windows Firewall may not actually be that bad, however, it isn't user friendly. There doesn't seem to be any kind of realtime activity window, it seems to hide what it does. I've yet to fully learn it. I wouldn't mind trying Bitdefender but I don't really want to get rid of Antivir.

Thanks Syex, I've decided to try the paid version of BitDefender Plus for a year or so. I guess I'll use its Firewall too.
Regards,
Mike

No advertisements please as they often end up with a ban.

If it's not removed within 24hrs we will remove it.

I've used Bitdender for a long time now. Everything Bitdefender has and does sell is much better than what Microsoft gives us for free. Bitdefender even gives you Anti-Ransomeware protection with all there products.
As far as tgere firewall, just open the settings for it and change the network adaptor, so it doesn't say public and instead says home/office.

The built-in firewall in Windows is more than adequate if you don't have one via a third party malware suite. The feature set and functionality is comparable to that in most third party internet security suites.

Wow, more than 2 years on, this thread is still active.

With my new Windows 10 laptop, after 2 years on the old desktop with Bitdefender paid-for, I am using Windows Defender with Windows Firewall and am about to install Malwarebytes 3 Premium.

This is after discussing the options on various Forums.

On the old desktop, I got into a "computer slowed down till it almost stopped" thing with Bitdefender Total Security.

So thinking that the old desktop was dying, I bought the new laptop.

Then as an experiment I uninstalled Bitdefender from the old desktop and went with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes 3 Premium trial. It was like a new computer again. However the new laptop is faster and handier, so I am still retiring the old desktop.

The combination of Windows Defender, Windows Firewall and Malwarebytes 3 Premium seems to get a good press.

But it all seems to be a bit like betting on horse racing . . . .

I have learnt to take great care that all these security apps are kept right up to date.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom