Windows 7 first, no 5.1, then, no sound at all and no realtek :\

Nighthawk4

hello, i've just setup my pc again and wanted to use my MD85500 5.1 soundset. though it didn't work, so i scoured the internet until i read that changing the drivers could fix the problem. so i did, and now i don't have any sound at all. i tried the "use previous driver" button, but it didn't work. also "select a driver from a list" didn't work either, i tried even the incompatible ones (though i don't know if they switch around based on which one is installed, they all have the same name). so how do i get this fixed? i'm at a loss here for the moment...

oh, i'm using Windows 7 retail x64, should it matter.

thanks in advance.

EDIT:
i don't have a realtek chipset (i think, where do i check for sure?), so i'm not using any proper interface, because Windows doesn't have one :mad:

Download Speccy from Piriform, a free program that will show you information about your system.

i tried that, though i can't find any info on chipsets and/or drivers. i did get my sound to work though, just by installing the realtek drivers. now i have 2.1 sound and the center works as well, though still no sound from the back speakers... any clue on that?

If you've now got the Realtek drivers, by clicking on the icon added to your notification tray (by the clock, probably hidden under the "up" arrow) there's a brown coloured speaker.
Double click that. On the screen that opens there's a drop down option for Stereo, Quadrophonic & 5.1 Speaker set ups. Yours may differ slightly. Set that to 5.1 Speaker and let us know!

If you've now got the Realtek drivers, by clicking on the icon added to your notification tray (by the clock, probably hidden under the "up" arrow) there's a brown coloured speaker.
Double click that. On the screen that opens there's a drop down option for Stereo, Quadrophonic & 5.1 Speaker set ups. Yours may differ slightly. Set that to 5.1 Speaker and let us know!

well that's a problem, i don't have any UI... this is where i downloaded it, and it says "driver only", but there's no download that says "driver and utility" or something similar...

edit: i tried the "soundback beta", but that didn't work either. it didn't start, even with Admin on, and the names aren't even properly named yet ("new folder 04", "new shortcut 01"), so that doesn't work.

Give us the make a model of your excat PC and we can try and locate the drivers for you.

i have a home-built PC. here are my specs:

Asus P6T SE mobo
core i7 920 @ 2,66 (stock)
6GB DDR3
ATI Radeon PcS+ 5850

i'm just using the on-board sound on my motherboard...

Last edited:
well that's a problem, i don't have any UI... this is where i downloaded it,
That's where I get mine from and I have a UI. Mind, that could be from original set up! Have a look here: "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe"

found it! though the back speakers still don't work :\. i checked that they're properly plugged in, which they are, and the center speaker does work for some reason.the Realtek app also shows that the jack is properly plugged in there (green, black and orange are active), though i still can't get sound...

Well, you've/we've made a start. You've some sound! Does it show in the notification area as an icon when started?

Now, as I've only got two ears and only use two speakers, you need a surround sound eggspert on your case.

Last edited:
(Mutters to self) " Have they checked for broken wire".

Glad you're sorted pal, stick around, can be fun!

Back