Windows 8 folder sharing vs advanced sharing

Talbot

i'm trying to share a folder so in properties i click the "advanced sharing" button and do everyone - read only, homegroupusers - full. save and exit. then i check the "share" simplified panel and it only lists myself as owner. so i add everyone - read only, homegroup - full. go back to "advanced sharing" and it says everyone - full, administrators - full, nothing else.

so which one is telling the truth? i just transferred everything from an old hd to a new one and did not have this problem a few months ago after i installed windows 8, i remember very clearly that it worked as intended, and it's the same installation.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
First off you need to understand that you may have conflicting share permissions based on group membership.
The Everyone identity All interactive, network, dial-up, and authenticated users are members of the Everyone group. This special identity group gives wide access to a system resource.
SOURCE: Understand Implicit Groups and Identities in Windows Server 2008

So basically "everyone" (users, authenticated users, guests, etc.,)
Second.... file sharing can sometimes be a bit complicated without involving the "Simple File Sharing Wizard" so my recommendation is... turn it off
Win Logo Key + E->View Tab-> Options Icon Drop Down->Change Folder and Search Options->View Tab->Scroll to Bottom-> Untick "Use Sharing Wizard (Recommended).
Now, in the interest of maintaining some sanity, make sure all network nodes are members of the same Work Group.
Win Logo Key + E -> Right Click Computer and choose properties. You can use the "Change settings" link to alter the Workgroup name on each node if needed.

Now when sharing a folder.
Under the "Sharing" tab, use the "Advance Sharing" button. Check "Share this folder" and click the "Permissions" button.
The only thing you need in there is the "Everyone" group... "Full Control"

Now you lock down you actual permissions using the "Security" tab, which controls NTFS permissions (on NTFS volumes)
This is where the issues with understanding Group Membership, Nested Groups, and Nested Users inside of those groups.....AND the fact that when share permissions and NTFS permissions are combined (and they are) the most restrictive permission wins.

So if you have a user named John Smith
And you grant John Smith Full Control of a particular shared resource
But then you in turn grant the "Users Group" read only access to the same shared resource, then John Smith will only have "Read Only" access to the shared resource.

If you have the time you can spend it reading this TechExams.Net - MCSA/MCSE 70-290 TechNotes: Shared Folder and NTFS Permissions

AND of course if it is a Fat32 volume rather than an NTFS volume you can ignore most of the above except the part about conflicting permissions based on group memberships.
Regards
Randy

thank you, disabling that wizard cleared up the confusion and uncontrollable changes. it seems like they should reflect the same information, but now that there's only one window it's much easier to rest assured my settings will remain intact. thanks again.

Back