Windows 7 For background pictures, how to you do 'fit to size' and 'tiles' at the same time

mit

If I do the original size than it is way too overblown, but when I do fit to size (or whatever you call them) it has two black bars on flanking on the sides, so i want to fix that with tiles. But if I do tiles it shows them at original size which is overblown.

Tile is usually used on smaller images, hence the name Tile such as kitchen tiles. Tile does not stretch or shrink the image.

With Windows 7 there are three ways to stretch or shrink a desktop image.

1. Fill - Fill will fill the screen which in essence crops off the portion that is stretched beyond the screens resolution.
  2. Fit - Fit will fit the entire image to screen while keeping image proportions, which may create black areas at the top/bottom or left/right.
  3. Stretch - Stretch will stretch the image and possible warp the image if it does not match the resolution of the screen.
There is always the option of editing the image to match the resolution of your screen.

Hi

You might want to make the image the same size as your monitor.
I make my desktop images 1920 by 1200 the same my settings.

If you wanted to fill the black area with other images you would have to use a program like Photoshop and create the image you want in it.

And as cliffordcooley said, you can chose Stretch to force the image to fit the screen.

I can't remember where this option is in Windows 7.

How are you applying the images to your desktop?

When I select an image in Windows Explorer and right click on it then select "Set As Desktop Background" they are always cropped to fit, even when I select a vertical image.

It doesn't seem to care what the image size it.

I just tried a variety of images and they all fit the desktop.
If it was vertical it just crops it top and bottom but still fills the screen.

Mike

Ok, the thing that's the problem with cropped to fit even when it's vertical is that then the resolution would dilute and not be pleasant to see anymore.

I'm not quite sure what you are expecting.

There is one other thing you could try as a compromise. If you absolutely don't like the black strips, you could change the color to something more pleasing by changing the background color. I personally like using a medium gray with maybe a small hint of color.

Hi

The highest resolution that a monitor can show is 72 Ppi.

If you monitor is set to say 1920 by 1200 at 72 Ppi and that's the size of your monitor, then increasing the resolution won't change the way it looks, but decreasing it will.

If you are seeing the image quality get worse when you crop it then it must be getting cropped to an area smaller then your monitor and enlarged.

Take an image you are having problems with, and crop it and size it manually to the size of your monitor and see what happens when you apply it.

See if it looks different then it does in the editing program.

It should look exactly the same.

Mike

Back