Windows 7 Force shut down Windows during defragment and now the Windows fails to start!!

tango

Hi my windows won't start and I'm in panic, please someone help me! Okay this is what happened:
Minutes ago, I defragged (not quick defrag) my Local Disk (C) with Piriform Defraggler. The first time I defragged, it defragged a lot and I gained a dramatic free space, but during deframenting, the computer froze. But I was still able to stop defrag and force shut down my computer (by holding down the power button)
I turned back on my computer and the black screen with options (to start with safe mode, etc) popped up. I chose to start windows normally. Everything was fine.
I wanted to finish defragmenting so I chose to defrag again. The computer froze again and this time I wasn't able to stop defrag. I had no choice but to force shut down my computer again and that's what I did.
I turned back on my computer and the black screen popped up again but this time it was with the message "windows failed to start" and the options were either "launch startup repair" or start windows normally. I chose "launch startup repair" and now it's just blank. It's nothing but black screen and a mouse pointer that I can control.
I shut down and turned back on and chose to start windows normally but the same screen with the message "windows failed to start" pops up.
The widows keeps failing to start and the startup repair doesn't even work. How can I fix this? I'm like about to cry please help me!!!

Last edited:
Do you have, or can you download and burn a Windows 7 Install DVD? You could boot to it and run a Startup repair from the repair options.

I don't think I have a W7 install DVD. I originally had Vista and got it upgraded to W7 with promotion so I have the DVD that I upgraded with. Can I reinstall Windows with that? When I first purchased my laptop at Bestbuy the clerk told me that I don't need an OS DVD cuz I can format w.o one.
I could download and burn a DVD on another computer at home but how I do I go about it? Could you explain where I can get the DVD or how to burn a install DVD?

If you had made a Recovery CD, you might be able to do the same thing.

But you can download from the referenced link, and make sure you download the correct version. This is SP1, but you will not be reinstalling, just going to the second screen after selecting a language and on the lower left, select Repair. Then go to the Startup Repair option. It may need to be run more than once.

After you download the .iso file, right click it and select Burn Image. You should then be able to boot to it and try to repair your system.

Link Removed - Not Found

Okay I downloaded the ISO file from the referenced website and created a bootable DVD. I put the DVD in and the message popped up to press any key to boot. I pressed enter and then "windows is loading files" message appeared, after it fully loaded the "starting windows" with the logo screen appeared. After that nothing's happening. It's the same black screen with a mouse pointer. What could I have done wrong? What scan I do now?

edit:
could it possibly be that my computer doesn't have SP1 installed?

Last edited:
I am wondering if you actually booted to the DVD. If you do not hit a key in a short time, the system will continue to boot into Windows normally. Did the system reboot after loading the Windows Files?

I suppose if you are seeing the black screen with the white line while the files load, you are in the Recovery Environment. But since it is not looking at the hard drive, it is not your install that is causing the problem, unless the OEM system is interferring. Sounds like when the resolution changes, it looses the video output. The repair boot options give you the choice of starting in a basic video mode. Maybe that would help.

What type of video connection do you have, the laptop LCD? Have you tried changing the video to make sure you are looking at the laptop screen and the signal is not going to an external screen? Do you have an external screen for testing, maybe a TV?

I pressed enter as soon as the message showed up and everything seemed to go smoothly, but after loading the Windows files, the system didn't boot into Windows. It's just black screen with a mouse pointer.

I'm sorry I don't understand your explanation regarding "video connection"... Maybe I wasn't clear, it's just my laptop that I'm trying to fix. It's not connected to any external device, and I'm working only through everything built in my laptop. I don't have an external screen... I can't connect my laptop to a TV. It's only the laptop itself.

Does your laptop have keys to switch the video output to LCD, external, or both? If so, did you accidentally set it to external?

The symptoms you describe sound like the video is being misdirected, or for some reason the system will not switch into the Windows Video mode. It could be something else, considering your initial explanation, but you should be able to boot into Safe Mode and check your drivers. If you cannot boot into an install DVD or you cannot recover your system using an OEM utility, you may have to find some way to reinstall.

A startup Repair may take several attempts to do what it might need to do.

I still do not understand why you cannot boot into the Install DVD but get the same symptoms as when you boot into Windows. Something does not seem right. If you could get into a command prompt, we could try some commands, but otherwise I do not have any more suggestions.

Edit: Running Chkdsk might help, but you have to be somewhere you can run it. Safe Mode or a command prompt would do it.

Back
Top Bottom