Windows 7 Format HDD from Command Prompt, X: drive or Boot volume

jonfd

So I am wiping my hard drive by booting with the Windows disk and going to command prompt. I successfully formatted drive C:, about 100 MB of system files and D:, about 500 GB or the bulk of my hard rive. These were the same hard drive, but separate partitions apparently. In Windows it just appears as C: altogether hiding the system files so you don't do something stupid. After I had cleared those two drives, I thought everything was gone until I remembered that it started me out in X:\sources. I went back to it and was like what the heck is this? I went to the root directory, X: and typed dir for directory. There was an executable setup file, and four directories including the "sources" one, Program files, Windows, and Users. The whole drive was about 30,000,000 bytes which is I guess 30 MB. It's volume label was called "Boot". I tried to format it, and it said "Cannot format. This volume is write protected." What is this X: drive and is there a command to remove the write protection? Also, what would happen if I did eliminate this data? Could I still install Windows back from the DVD or would that not be possible without those them? I would appreciate any light anyone can shed on this.

Back
Top Bottom