Windows 8 Freeze on startup Windows 8

Anton558

My computer freezes on every startup and after restarting 2-3 times. And then it can freeze up at at any random time. I'm pretty sure it's not overheating. I also checked the task manager, my disk and CPU usage was up to 95% most of the time. So I uninstalled a few stuff which I didn't use and I thought the problem was over and my disk usage was down to 1% and CPU to 5 %. But still it goes from 5 % to 60 % Just to start google chrome, when I watch a movie on netflix it can freeze at any random time. Even on login screen I touch nothing and it freezes after 40 seconds.. I need help cause this is very annoying.

And also this other problem there comes a popup that wants to activate windows 8 which I already had when I bought my computer. And it appears every 3rd hour It started after I had reinstalled by entire computer. I had bought a computer with Windows 8 already on it and I have no CD or whatsoever. And every second day my computer wants to update. It updates for 20 minutes and then it says. something like "can't configure updates resetting changes" which takes another 2 hours.

My computer specs:

CPU: AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3,2 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 7560D
Harddrive: 220 GB

Note: I don't know so much about computers so be more exact with a retard like me.

Last edited:
Hi Anton,
it sounds like you might have some malware running amongst other things. Download and run this app to remove anything nasty:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

It also sounds like your getting updates you don't want. If you open the control panel, look under 'System and Security', You'll see Windows updates with 'Turn automatic updating on or off' written in blue underneath it. Click that. Change the setting, a drop down menu, to, 'check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'. Click ok and then run windows updates. I think your probably getting the option to update to windows 8.1. If you see this update you can simply right click on it and choose to hide it. Windows will still tell you you have updates but at least you can pick and choose what gets installed.

The freezing might be down to some corruption within windows itself. If you open search and write command prompt, right click on it and click 'run as admin'. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Regarding the activation issue. Open the control panel and click 'System and security' followed by 'System'. Near the bottom of that page should information on whether Windows is activated or not. Can you post what it says please.

Hi Anton,
it sounds like you might have some malware running amongst other things. Download and run this app to remove anything nasty:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

It also sounds like your getting updates you don't want. If you open the control panel, look under 'System and Security', You'll see Windows updates with 'Turn automatic updating on or off' written in blue underneath it. Click that. Change the setting, a drop down menu, to, 'check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'. Click ok and then run windows updates. I think your probably getting the option to update to windows 8.1. If you see this update you can simply right click on it and choose to hide it. Windows will still tell you you have updates but at least you can pick and choose what gets installed.

The freezing might be down to some corruption within windows itself. If you open search and write command prompt, right click on it and click 'run as admin'. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Regarding the activation issue. Open the control panel and click 'System and security' followed by 'System'. Near the bottom of that page should information on whether Windows is activated or not. Can you post what it says please.

Product-ID: Not Available

I'll look into what you told me to do, Thanks!

I did the Malware thing and it says now that some programs are blocked, About the command prompt it says: "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

Last edited:
It does sound like from what you say that Windows needs activating. If you have only just purchased the machine within the last few months then I'd certainly think about making a call to the vendor. They would have the key necessary for activation unless it's been included with the literature that came with the machine originally?

I bought the computer a year and a half ago and didn't stumble upon any crash problems after owning it about 10 months.there was blue screens (which is fixed) and that lead to me reinstalling my computer and then the activate windows came up. However I didn't get any Windows 8 CD with it. It says to me to contact windows support through a phone call when it fails to activate.

Did you re-install Windows using the options within Windows 8? If so I'd explain that to the Microsoft rep when you call.

Many Windows 8 computers came with the License Key embedded in the UEFI bios. Assuming yours did also, you would have had to reinstall the system using UEFI, or there is a possibility the key would not be read if a Legacy install was used.

Do you know which type of install you currently have?

Also most of those systems came with a Recovery Image partition which contained the Factory image used to Reset it to Factory specs. Do you see a ~20 GB partition near the end of your hard drive? Have you tried a Factory Reset?

Have you run a memory test? Do you know what the repair of the Blue Screen situation was?

I do not know what type of install I currently have nor do I know how to check it, I have not done a factory reset, I have not run a memory test but, the Blue screen situation was just about the RAM card inside the computer box was a little loose.

I'll come back after I have made the call

You can open Disk Management and look at the partitions. If you have a EFI system partition, it is a UEFI install.

Back
Top Bottom