Windows 7 Freezing at 48% in expanding files at installation

Lena1988

Hey everyone. I'm not really a techie, so I'm really at my wits end trying to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista Home Premium.

I got the upgrade from DigitalRiver, in 32 bit as suggested by my very techie brother. I run the install, everything seems fine, but it seems to get "hung up" at 48% in the last step (I think it's "Expanding Files?") The cursor still moves, and the ellipses are still progressing, but it doesn't move beyond that. I've tried three times, leaving it overnight for 9+ hours, and nothing beyond 48%! It's insanely frustrating. I was hoping you might have some suggestions?

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000 with Vista Home Premium 32bit, Core2Duo processor, 2GB Ram.

Upgrading is mostly hit or miss. If you can backup your data and do a clean install... or just get another hard drive and install win 7 to it... you'll have much better results.

ah, ive installed windows operating systems so many times... i have seen that problem quite a few times when customers gave me disks that were damaged, it would install to a certain percentage every time and then get hung up. I even had a case of a brand new WinXP Pro. disk, pulled out of the package, never set down or touched on the back, just right into the drive... and it froze every time at the same spot.

It could be the disk.

Try taking it back to the store, tell them you need a new disk, you already have a key. There should be no problems in them giving you a new one. Or before you try that, im sure there is an .iso of win7 floating around somewhere on the net, download that, burn it, type in your key and see if that works.

Hope that helps

I don't really know what an iso is.

I have a digital download copy, not a disk, so I can't figure out why it's not working.

Oh i see, i am sorry i quickly scanned over your post im at work heh. So you downloaded the upgrade file from a website and its not working. The best thing that i can say is to call that company, DigitalRiver and tell them that your download is not working, or if it allows you to log back in and re-download it i would do so. The download file could be corrupted.

I have a digital download copy, not a disk, so I can't figure out why it's not working.

It's just locking up while tring to upgrade vista. Most likely you have programs loaded... epecially AV and/or firewalls that think Vist has a threat and kills it. Win 7 is a threat to Vista.

Try to turn off all programs that load when you boot up... You can probably kill most if you run MSCONFIG and go to startup and uncheck all the boxes. ... but some don't even load that way. There is a program you can google called Autoruns that shows you everything that's loading and lets you disable it.

Reboot so they aren't loaded and try again.

I tried turning off startup apps with MS config, I'll try the autoruns way now...

I tried another install while I was at a meeting with my editor, it pauses during the "transferring files, settings and programs" step, not expanding files like I thought, if that makes a difference.

I'm having the same problem and downloaded from the same site. Did you get it resolved? Should I just order the physical disk from them?

Thanks.

It may be a bad download, which is why Digital River now offers .iso downloads, which are DVD images. They are much easier to burn to a DVD and avoid some of the problems or error messages folks were getting when expanding their downloaded files. If you do not know how to burn an .iso file to a DVD, there are tutorials.

Did you see any type of compatibility icon on your disktop after you tried an install? It may be an internet explorer icon. Do you remeber if the compatibility check pointed out any problems?

An ISO image is an Link Removed due to 404 Error (also known as a Link Removed due to 404 Error) of an Link Removed due to 404 Error in a format defined by the Link Removed due to 404 Error (ISO). This format is supported by many software vendors. ISO image files typically have a Link Removed due to 404 Error of .iso. The name ISO is taken from the Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error used with CD-ROM media,

Just think of it as a PICTURE of files and programs that can be converted by software or automatically by cd and dvd players/recorders. It's kind of like a compressed file that has many programs and individual files inside... basically like suitcase that you can store personal item you take on a trip, for easy transfer.... you can open and pull out your tooth brush and other selected items when you get to your hotel.

There are several reasons it may not work... fist reason could be that after the download you don't what to do with it. Your digital download may not be an iso if you got it from Digital Rivers... it's like the ISO has already extracted the files and programs and put them into a folder on your hard drive... and you just install from that folder. No dvd drive is needed. If you got the iso from a website you have three options to use it:
1. Use a program that can extract files from the image to a folder on your hard drive.. then run setup
2. Use unetbootin and let it extract files from the image to a USB drive and make that drive bootable.. restart your computer and tell the bios to use the USB device first... the install will start automatically.
3. Burn the iso to a dvd disk .. and have the same thing they'll send you if you buy a disk.... restart your computer and tell the bios to use the DVD driver first... the install will start automatically.

What is name of file?
How big is this file you have downloaded? 2.90 GB If it is then thats a full install and you can do a clean install with it.

As mentioned doing upgrade is not best method. Leaves a bunch of trash and performance will be worse.

Back