Windows 7 frequent chkdsk on Windows 7 installed on a SSD drive

wfz

I recently purchased a 250GB Kingston SSD drive. I installed Windows 7 on it. It runs OK except that Windows 7 asks for chkdsk when booting very frequently. I'd say every 2 to 3 days I would see this. Usually it would recover a few orphaned files with 001, 002, or etl.

Is this a Windows 7 issue or a hardware issue? I've used it for ~ 1.5 months and this chkdsk came up ~ half to a month.

Thanks for any suggestions,

I don't have a solution for you.
Instead I am trying to pave way for others who know how to help you.

One simple question :
Did you run a check disk ( chkdsk ) as you were asked to do ?

In case you did not do chkdsk because you do not know how to..............

Start button > in the search box, type cmd > look to top left, right click at cmd.exe > click Run As Administrator > press Enter key.
You will now see a black and white screen. That is your cmd window.
At the flashing prompt, copy/paste this .......
chkdsk /f/r
press Enter key
Note : It is best if you copy/paste to avoid typo. There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/".

The window will say something like...( paraphrasing).... it can't do it now, but will do it at restart. Do you want to do so, y/n.
Type " y " as in yes > press Enter.
Exit cmd window.
Restart your computer > the system will start doing disk check.
It will take quite some time.... a long time. Just sit back and wait. DON'T turn it off.
The system will restart when disk check is completed.

After disk check is finished, it will create a log.
Here is how to access the log and you can copy and paste the log back here for the experts to inspect.

Disk Check logs
Start > in the search box, type event viewer > Enter >
left column, click the pointer in front of Windows Logs
select ( left click ) Applications
Right click Applications
select Find
at the Find What box, type chkdsk
click Find Next
exit Find window
middle column, top section, you'll see Wininit 1001 listed
right column, under Event 1001, Wininit, click Event Properties
A new window with the diskcheck log will appear.
You can either use the slider to view it, or click Copy button and then paste it to whichever you want to use.

In line with David: run the chkdsk. Windows doesn't always recognize all new hardware without problems. For some reason Windows has hooked up with a need, and it will probably repeat it until fulfilled.

Like I bought a USB 3 external Buffalo drive, my USB 3 was in order, but the drive only worked with USB 2... until a Windows update did the thing, some weeks later.

Be sure you have all important updates for Windows, and any latest drivers possibly made for the SSD. Generally SSDs are easy, no need to defrag etc. unless you want to - you won't gain much speed.

Last edited:
Orphaned files seems to be a SSD disease. I had that on a couple of SSDs and they both died after a while. If you have a chance to RMA the thing, I would do that and buy a better make - e.g. Samsung or Crucial. Those Kingstons are cheap for a reason.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I did let it run and it didn't take long, probably ~ 1 to 2 minutes. I checked the event viewer. It looks like it's getting more and more from the first few and more frequently than the past too. I hope it will last at least 2 to 3 years. I really like the speed.

A few entries:
The USA check value, 0x6e, at block 0x2 is incorrect.
The expected value is 0x6f.
The multi-sector header signature for VCN 0x1 of index $I30
in file 0x814 is incorrect.
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 2068.
The down pointer of current index entry with length 0x18 is invalid.
CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.
Recovering orphaned file Pictures (2100) into directory file 2068.
Recovering orphaned file SAVEDG~1 (2101) into directory file 2068.
Recovering orphaned file Saved Games (2101) into directory file 2068.
Recovering orphaned file Videos (2102) into directory file 2068.
Recovering orphaned file NTUSER~2.REG (16590) into directory file 2068.
Recovering orphaned file NTUSER~3.LOG (23799) into directory file 2068.
Recovering orphaned file NTUSER~1.LOG (23800) into directory file 2068.

Back
Top Bottom