Windows 7 Fresh Start Each Startup

Ilya Byk

Honorable Member
Hi. How do I fix this? Every time I login to my Windows Account, it says "Preparing your Desktop" or something like that, and when it finally does, my settings are not from this account. Instead it logs me in as "temporary account" and therefore nothing saves. How do I have it to log in and have it log in each time from now on under my account? There is only 1 to begin with. Thank you

I also see this:

Attachments

• Logged On.JPG
    Logged On.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 319
The temporary profile is used when an error in the registry is detected. Have you tried to create a new user, login when the new user and move any files to the right location, if any. Then delete the broken profile.

For this example I will use tempA as the temp admin account and MyUser is your main user account
  • Try the following
  • Create a temp administrator account
  • [From an elevated command prompt] type net user tempA /ADD
  • [From an elevated command prompt] type net localgroup administrators /ADD tempA
  • Log out and log in with the tempA account
  • Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  • Rename the key that doesn't have a .bak or .## suffix and append .spare or something To the first S-1-5-21- key
  • In here you're only interested in the keys that start with S-1-5-21- you may see two with the same GUID number but one or more has a .bak or .001 Click on each until you find the one that says C:\Users\MyUser as the ProfileImagePath value and rename it to the S-1-5-21- GUID that you append .spare to
  • Log out and log back in with MyUser
  • It should load back with the correct profile
  • If it doesn't try disabling your AV and log out and in
This type of problem occurs when the Windows User Profile Service cant read the NTUSER.dat file in your profile typically caused by an AV scanner scanning the file when you log in.

This might be a bit confusing so I modified my registry to illustrate
In the picture it would be assumed that my user SID is S-1-5-21-2511217683-997663846-925236535-1001 but now it was renamed by windows to the .bak and this .bak SID contains my real profile path.
The new S-1-5-21-2511217683-997663846-925236535-1001 key that windows generated (1) also has a new profile folder associated with it C:\Users\Justin.001. (2) is the correct key I need. So I would rename (1) to S-1-5-21-2511217683-997663846-925236535-1001.spare and rename S-1-5-21-2511217683-997663846-925236535-1001.bak to S-1-5-21-2511217683-997663846-925236535-1001
2016-04-14_16-54-52.png

Last edited:
Windows update on 4/14/16 made my keyboard not work anymore. had to restore my system back to 4/12/16. How can i keep that update from happening again?

Run sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt, which ensures certain Windows files are the originals, then Windows Update should be able to be installed without losing your keyboard.

Windows update on 4/14/16 made my keyboard not work anymore. had to restore my system back to 4/12/16. How can i keep that update from happening again?
Please start your own thread!!!!!!!!!!! That is just rude of you to post a totally different problem in my thread!! Where are the moderators of this forum??

Ilya: You're right, thread Hijacking IS rude, and they'll spot it. The Moderators here are quite busy and have hundreds of posts to review every day, and they are volunteers not getting paid. Many have full-time jobs, and do this on the side to help folks-for Free. You are right, thanks for pointing it out. I'm not an Admin here, so I can't help but can let you know that in the past I've seen them do a pretty good job and moving hijackers into their own thread or banning them if the bad behavior continues.

In the meantime, both Holdum and neemobeer have given you some good suggestions and asked you about your hardware environment. You responded about the thread hijacker but not the helpful suggestions given by other members. Nor did you tell us your make/model of computer. Just FYI, I consider that somewhat rude; we are spending time to help you and you don't tell us whether our suggestions worked or describe your hardware specs. What's with that?? :eek: It only takes a few minutes--and if you were paying a repair shop to get this information they would charge you big bucks.

Thanks-

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom