Windows 7 friends laptop is having some issues

Matth3w211

im 16 and normally i can fix everyones pc probs there having...well this time my friend brought me his laptop (toshiba satellite L655 win7 home premium) and when i push the power button to turn it on only the power supply, hardrive, and fan come on...no processor activity at all... no boot screen and the screen doesnt turn on at all..; i tried using a VGA cable to a external monitor... nothing, not the screen.... i tried running diag with eithernet and usb/usb connection to my laptop.. still nothing. any opinions from anyone?

Do you get any POST sounds and have you tried entering BIOS t startup?

If it is cpu/mobo then I fear there re no inexpensive fixes - hardware plus repair costs will be a high percentage of the total value of the laptop. It may not be but the lack of any sounds on startup sounds very serious. Maybe get your local repair shop to give you a free opinion.

Sounds like a mobo problem - or actually, it doesn't sound... If it was a CPU problem, the mobo would beep, probably.

If there's warranty, or some sort of a customer relation, take it to the shop.

As Pat & Pauli have surmised, and the information you have provided, it does indeed sound like a faulty Mobo.

Here's an easy way to confirm this:
First, remove the laptop Battery, all RAM sticks (typically 1 or 2), and the Hard Drive from the laptop. Run the laptop only on AC power using the AC adapter that came with the laptop. If you don't get any beeps (we call these "Beep Codes" in the computer biz); then your Motherboard is indeed dead and must be replaced. Typically in the US this is $175-$400 or more depending on the shop.

Ask your "friend" if he/she has dropped the laptop recently. Inspect the outside case of the laptop; corners, top, sides, and bottom. If there are any dents or deep scratches, or missing pieces of metal or plastic; it was almost certainly dropped. If you do indeed see visual signs of drop damage, that's most certainly the cause of the Motherboard failure. Laptops, just as Cell phones do NOT like this! :( There's a pretty good chance that your "friend" has already had this laptop to a repair shop and already knows this, and exactly how much it will cost to fix it. He/she is simply trying to exploit your skills to see if there's a cheaper way to fix it. I had people bring me dropped laptops all the time like this at various shops I worked at, and it's the same old story. It's unlikely your "friend" will admit to this if it was indeed dropped and there is visible damage to the laptop case.

Best of luck to you,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I like your last paragraph, Big One. I like people who dare to express. Too much of mere nice talk we have.

CMOS, does it have much meaning today? Those batteries go dead, occasionally? I've fixed a few problems by renewing it.

Thanks, Pauli! Yes, I've seen a few laptops where Beep Codes were suppressed; a CMOS battery (a $5 item at Radio Shack) can resussitate them. More than often, however, not. But worth the $5 to try if OP is willing to disassemble entire laptop. Most Satellites bury the CMOS battery on the underside of the Motherboard, which requires COMPLETE disassembly of the laptop in order to just get to it!! If OP cannot or has never done this disassembly of a laptop, it is very HIGH RISK, and 85% of my Students & Clients who attempted this never got the laptop back together and running again. If OP has never done the complete disassembly before it's worth $40-$120 US to pay to get this $5 part replaced if there is to be any chance of the laptop operating again. :cash:

Cheers!:wave:
<<<BBJ>>>

Back