Windows 7 FTP access intermittent

borate

A shortcut is mapped to an FTP server, and shows up in W7 File Explorer. It works on occasion, but more often throws a paths/permissions error. When that occurs the site isn't available via a browser either. Have seen it do the same in W8.1 as well, but rarely.

The SC has been deleted and recreated; no change. What's the problem?

I would troubleshoot with good old command line ftp.exe when your getting the error to see if it's the remote server's problem or not.

Thanks Josephur,

Good thought, though I am almost certain that the server was not at fault. Next time the failure occurs I will test other servers via the FTP commandline util, and report back here.

Wouldn't respond (as above) to the shortcut in file explorer, but would to Windows built-in FTP basic client.
After that was used, the file manager SC worked as it should. As noted, this is intermittent...don't know what
disables it, am not certain of what restores it???? Windows 7 mainly.

I don't have a Windows 7 machine handy but look for this option and try toggling it:
Control Panel, Internet Options, Advanced tab and scroll down until you find a checkbox labeled "Use Passive FTP".

It might help to turn this off/on (the opposite of what you currently have it set at)

It's set to the passive default, but I'll toggle it the next time this occurs. As mentioned, it DOES work in the passive mode - when it pleases.

That's about the only thing I can think to try, other than a good FTP client :)

Back
Top Bottom