Windows 7 Gadgets not loading? Read this.

Kyle

If the gadgets aren't loading in your Windows Beta, it means that UAC has been turned off.
To correct this, open up user account control and set the level to one notch above the lowest setting.

User Account Control options can be found by going to:
Start > Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings

This is a glitch, and will not be present in the final version of 7.

If the gadgets aren't loading in your Windows Beta, it means that UAC has been turned off.
To correct this, open up user account control and set the level to one notch above the lowest setting.

User Account Control options can be found by going to:
Start > Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings

This is a glitch, and will not be present in the final version of 7.

mine loads but not all the way, tried to set to always notify, but no luck

i got ghost gadgets where i say only the second hand of the clock and just a square with a x to close it out. tried uac and it was not changed it was set to default value.

If they don't load at all, ever, this applies, otherwise, it can be anything from a glitch to video drivers.

Try killing the mini-gadgets' process(sidebar.exe - thats how its called ), and then start it again

I did, but I don't feel like restarting right now, I will when ever I find an answer to my next problem. My windows update doesn't work at ALL. So I don't know how to get the update I request from windows update. Any ideas on that? lol

Yeah but now the dillema: Gadgets or SpeedFan?
Speedfan wont start at startup unless the UAC is turned of....

As said earlier, You must turn UAC on for the Gadgets to function.

I know, i have tried that... and before you ask yes I did try to turn it off and turn it back on again and yes it IS plugged in... lol

Besides that is for the Gadgets not popping up. I cant even access the menu or for that matter get any working in the first place.

Today I found an article concerning Gadgets and UAC On windows 7 news site. By making a little modification inside the registry there is a possibility to run gadgets even if UAC is disabled. I copy and paste you the whole article below.

"The Windows 7 Sidebar and Gadgets do not work correctly if a user disables the User Account Control in Windows 7. There is however an easy way to make the gadgets and sidebar work again without having to replace system files (that was the way suggested in many forums).
All that needs to be done is to change one value of a parameter in the Windows 7 Registry to make the sidebar and gadgets work even with UAC disabled.
Open the Windows 7 Registry by pressing [Windows R], typing [regedit] and hitting [enter]. Now navigate to the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Setting and change the value of AllowElevatedProcess to 1.
Restart the computer or logout and login again to see if the changes work as intended. The Registry setting ensures that the gadgets and the sidebar are working in Windows 7 properly even if UAC is disabled."

Last edited:
Leoul i found this article about a week ago and have since tested and found that it only allows certain gadgets to function.

I also want to note on the reason why this is not a bug in Windows 7. Microsoft made the gadgets disabled when UAC is turned off because they did not want any malicious unsigned gadgets in windows 7.

I don't know why I don't read the Stickeys, I figured it was just turned of in the preview version like Windows Mail, but after using the registry hack, I've been able to add all gadgets to the desktop.

After opening taskmanager, Sidebar sucks up more resources than any entry exeprt for my Anti-virus and one entry of svchost.exe Even Explorer is lower than sidebar.

Copy and paste the following in the quote area into Notepad, and choose Save As, click the drop-down menu for All files and manually type in the extension .reg. Now double-clck on that fiile to import it into the registry.

Note: If there are any spaces between any lines, correct them so there are no spaces. Curr ent, should read Current

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Compatibility]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings]
"SidebarDockedPartsOrder"="0x1,0x2,0x3,0x4"
"AllowElevatedProcess"=dword:00000001

All ten gadgets worked on my machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back