Windows 7 games keep crashing

pitsey

i have been playing Sid meiers rail-roads quite happily before i downloaded the 1.1 patch. since then i can only play so much before it crashes with an error message of " A PROBLEM HAS OCCOURED WHICH HAS CAUSED SID MEARS FROM WORKING PROPERLY".

i have scanned the game and the computer but thing comes up. can anyone help me sort this problem out before i start installing other games.

many thanks

I'm far from any kind of computer guru or anything, but I would check your sound and gpx drivers.
But, i'm sure you will get much better suggestions from others :)

thanks for the info snarils

My graphics card is a Radon hd 5770 1gb gddr5. all gobble -de - gook to me too. I have checked the drivers but they are up to date. the strange thing is i did not have this problem before i downloaded a patch from the official web site now it keeps crashing. i have UN-installed and re-installed many times but the problem persists. reading the error message it does not appear to be the game so i am at a loss as to what it could be. Is there anything else i should do to the drivers other than check if they are up to date??????????

I'm really probably the worst source of help,

It was something you downloaded from Windows Update site? hmm.. Have you tried system restore, perhaps it would take you to a point prior to the download.

There are so many possible problems or conflicts that it would be hard (for me anyway) to say what it could be. It could be some capability issue with software or even hardware or perhaps some stupid little setting in windows somewhere.

I've been having a host of problems myself with Windows 7, I like it, but I may end up going back to XP lol.

Last night, due to the freezing window problem I was having, I tried installing a new invidia driver from their site. After reboot, my computer would load up, and then the screen would go black. I fought with that for hours, even reformatting and reinstalling windows (again) Finally by dumb luck, it was working again normally. Course, then I installed a game and went back to windows update and logged out.. so I'll probably get home tonight and have more issues.

If I have more issues tonight, im tossing windows 7 out the damn window!

i am sorry to hear about your problems.....makes mine sound quite trivial lol..... can i run something past you. i can play the game but after a while it crashes. i am wondering if it is due to memory allocation because it is a game either against the computer or on-line so there is more than one person playing at any one time. So to have at least three people placing trains and track etc. i guess there is allot to remember???? what do you think???? do you know how to change memory allocation %???????

I know I have seen several tools in Windows to help memory usage and probably even some programs out there to help it out.

Perhaps the game has a memory leak. I believe this can be best described as the game using the memory and not emptying it out as it goes, so eventually you reach capacity and the game crashes. It would seem odd though, if this started happening after a windows update though.

You might search this forums and see if you can find a good program for memory management. I am sure you could find something.

You might also try searching the web or on the game specific forums and see if others are having similar problems, if it is a common problem, I am sure there is a known cure.

would love to but my son would not be happy as he will not be able to play online

i have tried the compatibility with the game with no luck but i have not with the patch. every time:p i download it there is no option to change it. or is there? do you know how to do that??????

You can change the compatibility of any executable program or file by right clicking and selecting properties and change at the compatibility tab.
Try all the modes one after the other, maybe one will work.
(start with win2000, winxp sp2, vista sp1... mostly these would work)
Cheers.

Another option is, if you're still patient, is that you delete the grafix drivers from the add/remove programs, then install an older driver.

Back
Top Bottom