Windows 7 Get old XP Network Logon screen back?

gunslinger

I would REALLY love to see them allow an option for the old XP windows logon for networks with:

Username
Password
Log on To drop down

xplogon.jpg

Rollout of Win 7 in our group has gone OK, but all my users gripe about this missing element more than any other and Im always reminding people how to specifiy domain and swith users. Has anyone found a way to do this or know of a way we can get Microsoft to maybe add it back as an option?

There is no actual means to accomplish what I believe you want to do other than by configuring either local group policy settings or using AD GPOs to make something similar work.. Refer to this article from TechNet and see if it helps. Understand and Configure the Welcome Screen and Classic Logon Screen

Thanks for the link. Close, and some good to know mods, but not quite. Suprised MS made it more complicated than less. Loved the old Logon To drop down set deafult to domain. Enter username/pass, done.

Its not bad for younger more tech savvy people. But with a lot of older employees we just, even still, get a lot of calls saying they cant login. And the scenerio almost always unfolds like this:

1. User has to check to see if they were last user, if not switch user, posssible type domain
2. Mistype password or some other typo it thinks you must want local PC reverting from domain to local PC name.
3. User thinks they just entered wrong login info, swearing they entered the right info (and they did), but it wont let them in because system reverted back to local PC.
4. Then if users dont catch this swithc back to local PC their user name and pass doesnt work and they call in.
5. We tell them to enter "domain\username" for access.
6. They complain asking Why?

And I cant blame them. Too many steps with too much error potential for non savvy users. Shold just be a simple option to set login like old XP style. They go to the trouble of making transition easier with Windows Classic options, and this should be one of them.

Not to slow on my machine but I have 3072 MB of memory dedicated to XP virtual when I run it

Back
Top Bottom