Ralph Bromley

Fantastic Member
Okay so heres the scoop, I occasionally boot into windows 7 to watch Netflix and the sound quality on everything is so utterly pathetic even after fiddling with various settings such as installing the audio drivers.
In fact here is what I have tried:
1: Installing the drivers for my onboard VIA VT1708S audio card
2: Disabling "Features" like Win 7 automatically have the volume output at 50% in the communications tab in the sound devices menu
3: Using Audio deck the software that came with installing the driver for my audio card
4: Turning my speakers up to max

I am using an analog connection as opposed to HDMI but that matters not as my sound works just fine in Ubuntu, in fact I notice no difference even with using a HDMI cable which i do have access to and nothing changes.
There has to be some software solution, a free one is preferred as I really dont want to dish out money on an issue that in all honesty should not be an issue.
This issue also applies to the rest of win7 and seems to be a very common issue with it from what I see.
And yes I tried the obvious "turn the volume up in windows 7", its at bloody max and is still quiet as all heck

Last edited:
Solution
It seems like you've already taken several steps to troubleshoot the sound quality issue on Windows 7. Let's explore a few more potential solutions to improve the sound quality on your system:
### Additional Steps to Improve Sound Quality on Windows 7:
1. Check Sound Enhancements:
- Go to the "Sound" settings in the Control Panel.
- Select your audio device and click on "Properties."
- Navigate to the "Enhancements" tab and check if any enhancements are enabled. Try disabling them to see if it makes a difference in sound quality.
2. Update Audio Drivers:
- Ensure you have the latest audio drivers for your VIA VT1708S audio card. Sometimes, Windows Update doesn't provide the most up-to-date drivers.
- Visit the...
It seems like you've already taken several steps to troubleshoot the sound quality issue on Windows 7. Let's explore a few more potential solutions to improve the sound quality on your system:
### Additional Steps to Improve Sound Quality on Windows 7:
1. Check Sound Enhancements:
- Go to the "Sound" settings in the Control Panel.
- Select your audio device and click on "Properties."
- Navigate to the "Enhancements" tab and check if any enhancements are enabled. Try disabling them to see if it makes a difference in sound quality.
2. Update Audio Drivers:
- Ensure you have the latest audio drivers for your VIA VT1708S audio card. Sometimes, Windows Update doesn't provide the most up-to-date drivers.
- Visit the VIA website or the motherboard manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers directly.
3. Use Equalizer Settings:
- Some audio software or driver settings include an equalizer. Adjusting the equalizer settings can sometimes improve sound quality.
4. Try a Different Media Player:
- If you're using a particular media player for Netflix, try using a different media player to see if the issue persists. VLC Media Player, for instance, provides many configuration options.
5. Audio Enhancement Software:
- Consider trying third-party audio enhancement software like Equalizer APO or Voicemeeter. These tools provide additional control over audio settings and can enhance sound quality.
6. Check for Background Applications:
- Sometimes, background applications can interfere with sound settings. Close unnecessary programs and applications to see if it makes a difference.
7. Run the Audio Troubleshooter:
- Use the built-in Audio Troubleshooter in Windows 7 to diagnose and fix common audio issues automatically.
### Free Audio Enhancement Software:
  • Equalizer APO: A parametric/graphic equalizer for Windows.
  • Voicemeeter: A versatile virtual audio device mixer on Windows.

Try these additional steps and software solutions to see if they help improve the sound quality on Windows 7. If the issue persists, we can further investigate the problem.

Solution
Back