Windows 7 Gf 8600Gt detected as Gf 6600

in2meC

Hello everyone ,Am new here
i have a serious problem just thought u guys may could help me out. searched the forum already nothing found same as this.
i have a P5KLD2 Se Asus MB , just bought a GF 8600GT 512Mb to upgrade my Gcard and i have a Windows 7 x86 installed
the problem is my windows 7 detect 8600Gt as Gf6600!
i have latest Nvidia driver installed ,Latest DirectX , Latest Net.framwork ,bios updated...
and have tried on different system ( windows XP. MB:Asus P5K SE/EPU) still same problem there.
neither windows 7 nor windows XP Detect it.
nerd.png

thanks in Advance.

Hello and welcome.

No, that's not a problem. The card really is GF6600 then. The driver installers can not even make a mistake, as the cards' hardware ids are coded into the installer .inf.

Anyhow, it make absolutely no difference what is shown in the device manager. It's easy to make it say "NVIDIA BEST CARD EVER!" if you want it to....it will still be using the same exact driver.

Moral of the story: Doesn't matter at all what device manager says it is, and the card really is a GF6600. (Did you buy this thing on E-Bay?)

To be fair whether it's the 6600 or 8600, the only difference is dx10 support on the 8600, both are virtually identical performance.

Hmm,
it actually shows at system start up the real Gcard name which is
GF 8600GT 512Mb 256bit DDR3
ver 6.84.58.00

the point is " if " the Card is realy a GF 6600 why just in windows shows that
not in bios start up?
sarcastic.gif

was the card new? could also be a PID mistake by the OS

No, it can't. The installer .inf contains 100% of all the information which directs what goes on in the device manager and how the card is recognized.

in2meC, the retailer sold you something that you didn't intend to purchase.

well he does say the 8600 is named on the post screen, and PID can be wrong, as the soundcard i have needed a updated PID patch before detects correct model.

If anything, it could be some bootleg type of card made by a rogue manufacturer. Or the card could have been flashed by a rogue manufacturer, with an improper one.

Definitely something fishy going on for sure.

To be fair whether it's the 6600 or 8600, the only difference is dx10 support on the 8600, both are virtually identical performance.

I used to have 6600, and I also had a chance to try GF8600 on another PC for a few hours, and I should say GF8600 was certainly faster. It would more easily handle larger resolutions and higher levels of antialiasing. + PhysX. Another thing is that GF6600 supports only 8x FSAA, while GF8600 has it 16x. So, of the two I would definitely prefer GF8600.

I'm not being funny but 16xAA on a budget card would kill the framerates beyond playable on a modern game even at 800x600 level, as for the speed differences... unless it's getting maybe 10 fps more it's not a big leap in performance, having compared to my 8800 for 3 years before this 5870, and tested many freinds rigs with 6600's 8600's and 9600's my conclusion was they are virtually the same card with about 5-10% boost each time they rebadge, nothing to get excited about. Often the biggest gains where purely down to whether they got DDR3 or DDR5 editions.

Admittedly the jump from 6600 to 8600 is bigger leap since its a 2 generations leap, but it was always better to stick with cards by nvidia that ended *800 than *600 as they were always 2x faster, hell the 8800 would match up to a Nvidia 250GT just about which is a naughty by Nvidia to keep rebadging the same card (8800 then 9800 then 250, yet barely any extra performance)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom