Windows 7 Gfx card not recognised.

Tremonti

Okay, here it goes, lots of trouble, gfx card not being recognised is the final problem.

Was on the windows 7 32bit RC for about 6-7months. Finally bought the 64bit professional disc, and did a clean install (As upgrade wasn't allowed from the rc). This went fine. Downloaded all the windows updates and drivers for my laptop, and restarted, as you do. On the load up screen, laptop freezes at the windows logo on the black background. Auto-reboots and there's an error, it needs to be restored. It does the auto restore and eventually takes me back to my desktop, as if it had just been installed again. Thinking this was a bug, i try again. I download the updates, but not drivers, and restart. All goes well. I download the drivers, restart, and the same thing happens, but with one difference. The auto restore feature fails. So it wont boot up, it wont auto restore using windows, and when i try to use the built in manufacturers restore "BOOTMGR" is missing, so I can't do that either. Eventually after about 2 hours it lets me clean install Windows 7 again. Everything goes perfect on the install. I do the windows updates, then run dxdiag to see if there's an issue with my gfx card, and low and behold, it's not recognised. So my gfx card is'nt being recognised, I can't download the drivers as that causes no end of trouble, and I can't run any games etc... because it think's i have no gfx card...HELP!

I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
gfx card : NVidia 9200m GS

I'll post any more info if you need it.

Last edited:
Is this the driver that you are currently using
NVIDIA DRIVERS 195.62 WHQL
according to the site yours is one of the supported devices, that this driver is intended for.

Just had time to update my post, with a LOT more detail. I'm terrified to even try a driver update. In my previous attempts I tried drivers direct from Nvidia specified for my laptop model, and also ones from the manufacturer site, neither worked.

I'm not sure how to advise you to proceed at this point except to say that
1. Hardware drivers from the device manufacturer's website are usually your best bet in this case from Nvidia. Unfortunately I'm running an 8x card so I don't have any experience with any of their 9x series drivers, maybe someone else with your exact card or at least a 9000 series card can provide some actual specific information.
2. Hardware drivers from the PC's manufacturer's website would be a second choice only in cases where the device manufacturer didn't have updated drivers.
3. I would never under any circumstances that I can think of use or allow the Windows Update Utility to install drivers for my Video Card.
4. In the previous instances where the installation of the Video Card Driver (presumably from Nvidia) resulted in the computer apparently not booting, did you try alternate boot options, like safemode or last known good configuration, generally if it's the video card preventing the machine from booting, the basic VGA mode would allow you to boot and either roll back or uninstall the video card and drivers, which I would think then would allow you to reboot in normal mode with a default VGA adapter installed.

Back
Top Bottom