Windows XP Going from RedHat Linux to Win XP

rgswaim

I have a laptop with RedHat Linux installed. I want to replace it with Windows XP. When I boot up with the XP disk in the drive it doesn't recognize the file system and stops. It does not give me an option to partition and format the drive in order to install XP. I've been out of the computer field since retirement 8 years ago so I am out of the tech loop now. How do I boot up with the XP disk in and get it to allow me to partition the hard drive and then format so I can install.

Does the xp boot disk give you any options on boot like repair mode or DOS mode?

Does the xp boot disk give you any options on boot like repair mode or DOS mode?
All it says is it doesn't recognize the drive. the other times I have installed windows the installation process let sme partition the drive and then format. I have legal copies of Windows XP, Win 95 and Windows 2000. All of them do the same thing.

How do I boot up with the XP disk in and get it to allow me to partition the hard drive and then format so I can install.

First you need to load the install media into your DVD drive. Next, you need to change the boot order in the BIOS and select DVD drive, save and exit. Once the laptop restarts you should get a prompt to "boot from CD/DVD press any key" message. Hit enter or space bar.....follow on screen prompts and then do a custom install...this is where you get to choose the HDD and format options.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

Back