Google DNS Service

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Google has launched a free Public DNS service. Using this DNS service may provide improved browsing performance and security. Full instructions on how to switch to this DNS service on your machine are provided here.

Is it better than Open DNS? I use Open DNS because a while back there was a nasty hijacker (or something. I forgot the details). At the time it was the only thing that would protect you from it.

Last edited:
On that I'm unsure Stuey.. It might be prudent to wait a while as it is very new?

It's no biggy. I think I have a pretty good security setup. I use Open DNS, a Belkin Router with a hard firewall, One of the better antivirus/firewall programs (ESET Smart Security), Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, a Hosts file, Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock plus and once in a while I scan with Super AntiSpyware. Do you think that sounds like overkill?

Wow... you've certainly got it all tied down... I have to admit it does sound a tad excessive but then again thats me... As long as your not getting compatibility problems nor system slow down then leave it as it is... As the saying goes, 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it'! ;)

On reflection, I'd turn off Defender if I was you as your already using a spyware program.

Last edited:
Wow... you've certainly got it all tied down... I have to admit it does sound a tad excessive but then again thats me... As long as your not getting compatibility problems nor system slow down then leave it as it is... As the saying goes, 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it'! ;)

On reflection, I'd turn off Defender if I was you as your already using a spyware program.
I use Open DNS, Avast! and my Siemens SE567 modem/router is a NAT router so I have hardware firewall and even though I don't use the Wi-Fi I do have it encrypted with WAP2 and my MAC address filtering is set to only allow my computers Wi-Fi adapters MAC address.
I have Spyware Blaster and I use Spybot S & D with it's hosts file enabled.

I do frequent scans with both Spybot S & D and Avast! and keep them up to date as well as keeping up with Windows updates.
Avast! is set for On Access protection and automatic email scanning.

I use an addon in Firefox called WOT (Web of Trust) to warn me of unsafe web sites (there is a version for IE8).

Much of this requires little from me (scans etc.).

It sounds like a very sorted system there Frank..
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Actually Super Antispyware is the free version so it doesn't do real time protection. I just scan with it occasionally. It catches a few tracking cookies usually. My ESET scans automatically twice a week during the night.

My ESET checks for updates hourly. But that's the cool thing about ESET. You never even notice it til it tells you it's been updated. Being extremely light on resources is it's claim to fame.

I forgot to mention the WPA2 encryption for my wife's wireless laptop. The thing I haven't set up yet is the mac address filtering.

Thanks for the reminder Frank. :)

It looks like you and I have a very similar set up. Your SpyBot takes the place of my Windows Defender and my Hosts File. Somewhere along the line it was suggested to me that SpyBot and Eset might not play nice together. That's the only reason I use Defender instead of Spybot.

I don't think I'm getting any slowdowns. It's still fairly quick considering my antiquated hardware. Maybe the Hosts file slows down page loading by a second or two. It doesn't bother me though.

Last edited:
Ross,

There is nothing in Stuey's list that does what Defender does, nor that conflicts w/ it. His A-V w/ Firewall will shut the OS Firewall down (I hope, not both; the W7 Firewall is pretty good, though). But, if that A-V has no anti-malware component then Defender should be on. That Super Anti-spyware prolly isn't needed. Spyware Blaster is cool.

Really all W7 needs is a good A-V, a good A-M, maybe SpywareBlaster & a good firewall. Also doesn't hurt to have some intelligence & common sense in the chair but, that's true no matter what OS.

Certainly, as I get everything back on track in my W7s but, in general, too, I sure do like having Quick Launch!!

Cheers,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"
Yeah I've been thinking about dumping Super Antispyware. I might use it once a month or 6 weeks. I forget it's there. Duh!! :rolleyes:

Yeah ESET shuts off Windows Firewall.

I sure do like having Quick Launch!!

Cheers,
Drew

LOL!! I sure do like having Vista Start Menu!! You're a funny man Drew, Pickin on me like that. :D

Hey Stuey,

Hell, I'd only pick on someone smaller than me & hopefully someone who is already down ;) (just kidding :rolleyes:)

Cheers,
Drew

Well I'm just a little fella. 6'2" and weigh about 275 pounds. But I wouldn't hurt a fly.

stratocaster, I;ll call you up next time I need my engine lifted out of the car for painting.

I was the class clown.

Myself and a friend had to sit in the wastebaskets in 1st grade.

Went downhill in my teens when i started using drugs.

But know I' kicked the habit. Clean for 5 years

stratocaster, I;ll call you up next time I need my engine lifted out of the car for painting.
Stratocaster?? That's ok, I like those guitars too. The reason I call myself stueycaster is because I own a Fender Telecaster. I did some of my own electronic customizing on it. Now I call it my Stueycaster. It looks just like the one in my avatar except mine has a Stratocaster pickup between the 2 Telecaster pickups. It's cool. My Tele has Strat sounds too.

You need your engine lifted out? Sure, give me a call. (Ulp! What am I getting myself into?)
stueycaster-albums-smileys-picture164-shock.gif

Last edited:
Got picked on a lot as a kid... it sux. But, grew up where I wouldn't harm a fly either. Strange, u'd think I'd wanna get back & the world. Just bizarre, instead I try to help others, oh well...
Yeah you're cool Drew. I just wish I had your computer knowledge.
I was the class clown.

Myself and a friend had to sit in the wastebaskets in 1st grade.

Went downhill in my teens when i started using drugs.

But know I' kicked the habit. Clean for 5 years
Yeah me too on the drugs. Been over 20 years for me. Now my only vice is I can't seem to break the coffee habit.

Back