Windows 7 GPU or memmory upgrade?

Lagkiller

So, I was wondering which of them was worthy of upgrade?

My actuall specs are Phenom Quadcore 9550, memmory: 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz) and 1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz) (dual cahnnel, obviously), GPU: Geforce 8800 GTS 320 mb. Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EM. OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

So I could upgrade either to a: OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4 GB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB) Link Removed - Invalid URL (i would replace the memmory i already have, of course)

Or BFG GeForce GTX 275 OverClocked Video Card - 896MB Link Removed - Invalid URL

On the one side, upgrading memmory would be MUCH more cheaper, and mine is only 667 MHZ (determined by the slowest one), so that could perhaps be my actuall "bottle-neck") But then, i don't know if upgrading it would trully impact on games' performance (besides, I was told that in order to get a true boost after a memmory upgrade you should reinstall Windows, since otherwise it will not really take advantage of it, and I'm really not willing to do so).

On the other side, with a GPU upgrade, i could for sure run any game maxed and flawlessly. With my actuall GPU, I sometimes have to sacrifice quality (set it to medium) to play flawless (like in Fallout 3, FSX). But, I'm already playing some games maxed (Mass Effect 2, MW2, etc). And my screen is 19", (I play with 1440x900), so i don't know if 275 would be wasted in playing at that resolution and sould keep mine.

If you are looking for better performance in games, then definitely go with GTX 275. However, NVIDIA Fermi cards will soon be available this year, so you may want to wait a little.

However, NVIDIA Fermi cards will soon be available this year, so you may want to wait a little.

Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid i'm too attached to my body parts to sell them to get a Fermi. :razz: (Besides it probably won't take less than 2 years till they are in a reasonable price)

I think you should get your RAM organized first. Certainly a better card would make a big difference too, but your current card is not a shabby one.
besides, I was told that in order to get a true boost after a memmory upgrade you should reinstall Windows, since otherwise it will not really take advantage of it, and I'm really not willing to do so).
That's a bunch of baloney! At most, all you will have to do is enter the BIOS Setup menu upon first boot after installing the new RAM, then save and exit to take advantage of the new RAM.

Also note a new graphics card might require a bigger PSU first.

More memory is definitely better for multitasking. And GF 8800 GTS is not a lousy card at all, I agree. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can tell about my own experience: now I have c2q + 8 Gb + ati 4850 1Gb, I can say that the speed of processing graphics is not good enough - despite the 8 gb of RAM I have !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GTX should give you improvement in just about every game. Especially shader-heavy and Physx games.

8800GTS - 128 shader processors, 10.2Mpix\41.6Mtex fillrate, 41.6Gb\sec bandwidth

GTX 275 - 240 shader processors, 20.2Mpix\50.6Mtex fillrate, 127Gb\sec bandwidth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note it is all up to you to decide which way to go, memory or GPU. :)

Back
Top Bottom