Grub Rescue

Hmm, you are right. I have no idea of why it didn't work that way the first time, but when I just tried it again, it did go into console mode. I'm not exactly sure how to use it, but I'm not ready to learn at this time. It was enough that I learned how to get out of it, because when I chose to restart, it presented a login screen instead, and exploring that, I went into failsafe mode, which took some doing to get out of, because it kept returning to it, even when choosing a regular boot. At least I now know where to go...as a last resort.

Something I have been trying to figure is how to adjust the gamma (or as it would be called in Windows...brightness) on my primary monitor. When I open the display settings, it shows the primary and secondary monitor in their proper positions, when the primary shown as the primary, but when I try to adjust the gamma, it changes it on the secondary monitor instead. I have tried to find a way to make it adjust the primary instead, even moving the position of the monitor to the opposite of what they should be, but it still only changes the secondary monitor. What is the trick to changing it on the primary monitor?

Last edited:
The problem with that, is that it would adjust it in both Windows and Suse, which I don't want. I suppose that I could readjust it in Windows to compensate for the change, but I have it exactly the way that I want. I don't exactly understand what you mean by "the gamma tool in kde is a per monitor tool anyhow." Does that mean that it can't adjust each monitor separately? Separately or together, it won't adjust the primary monitor at all.

That doesn't sound good either...or are you saying that once the primary is adjusted, it would retain it's setting after the secondary is reconnected again?

Well most of the time the issues with duel monitors are a side effect of proprietary drivers, something that has been an issue with linux for eons.
I mean open drivers are getting better but its slow going, as long as AMD and nvidia drag their feet in supporting open drivers the harder it is to work with.
Surprisingly the only one that seems to work are intel video cards but thats because intel has been working with apple and it is having benefits in the linux world.

I found this section in the help file, that makes it sound as though they should be able to adjust separately:

On multi head systems, select the screen you want to alter with the combo box. This will also work with xinerama enabled. If you want to set all screens to the same gamma values, enable the Sync screens option. On systems with only one screen this option will take no effect.

But I don't understand what they mean by the combo box, nor do I know what they mean by xinerama?

I found this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinerama

I don't fully understand everything that it says, but am left with the impression that Xinerama is not a solution, and may cause the situation to worsen, because of the same resolution and bit rate requirements. I'm not sure how to determine the bit rate of the monitors, but they are not nor cannot be set to the same resolution, because of their difference in size. Even if they were, I got the impression that all that it could do would be to stretch the desktop across both monitors, rather than making two separate ones.

Your previous comments about proprietary drivers makes me wonder if I should look in that direction, because I have a nVidia card, and at least on Kubuntu, I was able to install an nVidia driver for it? Then again, I didn't have this problem either before or after the installation. The only changes I noticed were in the manner that Kubuntu booted and shutdown, instead of just a continous image screen, it reverted to a scrolling screen, showing the start and shutdown activity.

I just checked in Yast, and it already shows the nVidia driver being installed. I also found one called Nvidia Dock, that is suppose to offer some kind of control over settings, but after installing it, all I could do is add it to the panel, and right click it for a context menu that only deals with factors pertaining to itself, not the settings in general. When I left click it, the bouncing ball appears for a while, and then disappears, without any settings window appearring.

Another related problem, is that since starting to mess with trying to fix all of this, when I open Opera now, it will only appear on the secondary monitor, and is not moveable at all. I seem to be going from bad to worse.

EDIT: Since the nVidia driver was installed by default, what would happen if I uninstalled it...does Suse or KDE have it's own driver that would automatically replace it, or would I be left with no display at all?

I tried reinstalling Opera, but that didn't help, it still opens locked on the secondary monitor. However it doesn't look as though Yast truly uninstalled it, because it still has exactly the same dials on Speeddial as it did before reinstalling it. Is there some trick to getting a clean uninstall of it?

Another browser issue is that Firefox's icon doesn't appear either on the taskbar or the System Tray when open, and when I minimize it, it closes instead. Opera's icon doesn't appear either, but there is a blank spot in the System Tray, which when clicked, opens and closes the browser.

I took a shot in the dark, and simply changed a minor item in Opera preferences, and it is now movable, but still has a blank Icon.

I found the solution for adjusting the desktop brightness...instead of trying to adjust the monitor's brightness itself, I adjusted the brightness of the wallpaper image itself. Not as good of a solution as there should be, but it works.

Another little annoyance that I would like to solve, is that each time I boot into Suse, certain programs automatically open that shouldn't...like Firefox, Opera, Evolution or Dolphin. Which opens isn't predictable, it different each time I reboot.

Another little annoyance that I would like to solve, is that each time I boot into Suse, certain programs automatically open that shouldn't...like Firefox, Opera, Evolution or Dolphin. Which opens isn't predictable, it different each time I reboot.

openSUSE has a session restore feature, it might be that kicking up

Can I turn it off?
Yes, go to your system settings and go to "start up and shut down"
In this section you can go to "session management" and choose "start with an empty session"
also check the "autostart" section too there maybe apps that are ticked that are autostarted.
The session restore feature is a good one but it does have a few issues, like if you are running an app in the background like the mail client or firefox it will restore them next session thus why it seems so random.
You could use the autostart feature but it can be a bit of a pain to add all of your favorite apps on autostart as its a one app at a time thing.

I'm not finding that path. I have checked LaunchPad>Applications>System and found nothing labeled start up and shutdown. I also went into Yast>System and found nothing there by that name either. Would you be a bit more specific?

EDIT: I think that I found what you were referring to by typing "session management" into the launchpad's search window, and set it to start with an empty session. Now to see if it works as hoped.

Last edited:
Back