Windows 7 Halo: Combat Evolved Freezing Issues

japanadian

Hi,
I recently got Halo: Combat Evolved at a used video game store (Even though it's a 10 year old game, it's still pretty fun =P) and installed it on my laptop. It says the minimum requirements are:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Second Edition, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows XP.
- Computer/Processor: 733 megahertz (MHz) processor.
- DirectX: DirectX® 9.0 or later. (DirectX 9.0b is installed by Halo.)
- Memory: 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM.
- Hard Disk: 1.2 gigabytes (GB) of free hard disk space.
- Video card: 32 MB with 3D Transform and Lighting capable.
- CD: 8X.
- Sound: Sound card, speakers, or headphones with multiplayer play.
- *56.6 Kilobytes per second (KBps) modem or 10 MB network adapter. Multiplayer servers require broadband to run a server. - *Additionally, you must have an Internet Service provider (ISP) or a Local Area Network (LAN), if you want to play multi-player games
(via Microsoft Support)
I have a 1.66 GHz processor, DirectX 9.0 and 1GB of RAM but the game keeps freezing. I can play it for about 5-10 minutes, but efter that the screen flashes a couple of times and the hard drive stops spinning and I have no choice but to turn off the computer.
When this happens, I can't return to the desktop and pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't do anything either.
Is this a problem with my video card?
When I right click on Computer, click Manage and look at the devices, it says that I have a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family. I looked up some stuff on the net and apparently, that is not a proper video card. Will I have to buy a new laptop just to play the game?

Basically onboard graphics by Intel are pretty weak (only the more recent ones shipped with Sandybridge are worth a damn) compared to laptops with mobile editions of proper cards by Nvidia and AMD/ATI, so it usually expected for use for basic stuff like browser grade games or watching video etc, wouldn't make sense to replace a laptop for the sake of a bargain bin game from 10 years ago though. Often a laptop with a dedicatd mobile video card of worth will cost a £200-300 more than the entry models, so you could actually just buy a xbox1 console and the game for under £40 now and play it on the original format.

Laptops are not aimed at proper gamers, unless you count facebook grade games, at least not without spending about 3x more than a gamers grade desktop PC on one.

Last edited:
Back