armor64

Ive been having a problem with 64-bit RTM hanging for a few minutes when i play audio or video.
the mouse still moves and the clock still keeps time, but i cannot open other programs until it comes back.

it happens with media player and VLC, which are the only ones i use. the only program im running at the same time when it happens is live messenger, as i need to keep in contact with group mates for projects.

event viewer only shows occasionally a timeout for writing different program details(i can look them up when i get back home)

any help would be great, i cannot figure out whats going wrong.

my system is q6600 quad core proc, asus p5q-pro, 4bg ram and a 8800gt video card.

Solution
It seems like you are experiencing an issue with your 64-bit RTM system hanging for a few minutes when playing audio or video, and you're unable to open other programs during this time. Let's try to troubleshoot this problem:
Here are a few steps you can take to diagnose and potentially resolve the issue:
1. Update Drivers:
- Make sure all your drivers, especially for your audio and video devices, are up to date. Outdated drivers can cause compatibility issues and lead to system hangs.
2. Check Resource Usage:
- Monitor your system resources (CPU, memory, disk) while playing audio or video. You can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to check for any resource bottlenecks that might be causing the hang.
3. Scan for...
It seems like you are experiencing an issue with your 64-bit RTM system hanging for a few minutes when playing audio or video, and you're unable to open other programs during this time. Let's try to troubleshoot this problem:
Here are a few steps you can take to diagnose and potentially resolve the issue:
1. Update Drivers:
- Make sure all your drivers, especially for your audio and video devices, are up to date. Outdated drivers can cause compatibility issues and lead to system hangs.
2. Check Resource Usage:
- Monitor your system resources (CPU, memory, disk) while playing audio or video. You can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to check for any resource bottlenecks that might be causing the hang.
3. Scan for Malware:
- Run a full system scan with a reliable antivirus program to check for any malware that might be causing performance issues.
4. Disable Startup Programs:
- Some background programs might be interfering with media playback. Try disabling unnecessary startup programs using the System Configuration tool (msconfig) to see if this resolves the issue.
5. Check Event Viewer:
- When you can, look up the specific error messages in Event Viewer related to the timeouts for writing different program details. These messages might provide clues about what’s causing the system hang.
6. Audio/Video Troubleshooting:
- Test playing audio and video in different programs or formats to see if the issue persists. Sometimes, specific codecs or settings can cause playback issues.
7. Check for Overheating:
- Ensure that your system is not overheating. Use monitoring tools to check the temperature of your CPU and GPU to rule out overheating as a cause of the hang.
8. Update Operating System:
- Ensure that your operating system is fully updated with the latest patches and security updates. Sometimes, system updates can resolve compatibility issues.
9. Check for Background Processes:
- Make sure there are no unnecessary background processes consuming resources. You can use Task Manager to identify and close such processes.
Feel free to try these steps and let me know if any of them help resolve the issue. If you encounter any specific error messages or behaviors while trying these steps, provide that information for further assistance.

Solution
Back