Windows 7 Hard drive failure after upgrading Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Windows 7 Professional 32-bi

cat4moose

I did a clean install of windows 7 professional over the Windows Vista Home Premium that came on my laptop (a XPS M1530) and it appeared to go smoothly. Once the install was completed I was having trouble with viewing screen savers and playing games (that I had played many times on my computer before) because it said that I didn't have a good enough video card. I'm currently using a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT so I knew that wasn't the real problem. When I ran the diagnostics I got a 0F00:0146 which is hard drive failure. I found it a bit odd that my hard drive had failed yet I could still do just about everything else with my computer except games and screen savers, so I called Dell support and they had to replace my hard drive. I had absolutely no problems with my hard drive prior to upgrading to Windows 7 Professional. Was this just a freaky coincidence or will it happen again if I try to upgrade?

The main hardware is:
Hard drive: WDC WD2500BEVT-75ZCT2
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Processors: 2x Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz
DVD/CD-ROM drive (used to burn the installation CD): MATSHITA DVD +-RW UJ-875s ATA Device

Are you using just the Windows 7 Chipset drivers or did you try to install any others.?

It may not be necessary, but have you checked if any bios updates are available?

Did all of that. I reinstalled all the recient drivers and got 3 different errors saying it was an unreadable hard drive. There was also 0F00:0232 and 0F00:065D. The tech support guy that Dell sent over even wiped the drive of the OS and it still couldn't read sections of the hard drive. In the end it wasn't a problem with the driver itself. The problem was that the computer couldn't read part of the driver it had written because of the hard drive death.

Back