Windows 10 Hard Drive Test

What can i do now , are any of these any good . I followed the instructions as listed .
Hmm.. Well if it was me I'd detach the drive and see if the crashes stop.

If they do reconnect the device and see if the come back. If the y do then you know it's the device thats faulty?

I went to the local city to test that hard drive , one was ÂŁ5 but he only tested upto 4TB . One only tested upto 8TB , one could test the 18TB but it would cost ÂŁ20 per half hour and it could take hours . Both computer shops in the towns near me are shut , i went to the city pc shops thinking they would have plenty of testing software . I never realised there would be limits , its just been a waste of tiime .

A partial test of a disk is a good indication of the health of the whole disk.

If the disk disk, when mounted in your pc still causes crashes you may also think of cables being damaged even a too small powersupply. A crashdump may tell more but none showed up. Could you try the Powershel script?

How do i run PowerShell Script , i downloaded the ap . There is a video that says run it from notepad but i can't find folder options in my control panal .

Attachments

• PowerShell Script.PNG
    PowerShell Script.PNG
    171.5 KB · Views: 41
That is easy. Type 'powershell' in the search box in the bottom left corner of the screen, select 'powershell' in the results, click on it and it pops up.

In the last line of my answer #64, sorry for the typo, is a link to a script of Neemobeer which helps collecting crashdumps. Copy the code into your powershell and run it.

You did not copy from this link the procedure into powershell.
It starts with

$CollectDir = "$env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\SYSTEMREPORT"
$DumpPath = "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl"

and ends with

$dumpdir = Get-DumpSettings -Path $DumpPath
Create-Archive -DumpLocation $dumpdir

Could you try that and run it?

Last edited:
I copied off neemobeer , powershell script and got . Are these files any good .

Attachments

• Open folder.PNG
    Open folder.PNG
    234.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Opened folder.PNG
    Opened folder.PNG
    69.6 KB · Views: 33
I typed
$dumpdir = Get-DumpSettings -Path $DumpPath
Create-Archive -DumpLocation $dumpdir
into script .

Don't type, it is too much and too complicated, copy and paste the whole procedure into the powershell.

I did copy and paste it , everything as in my post and i'm still none the wiser about getting a dump file from it . This PC has just restarted once again while online . The pics above 2 entries back show the results .

This is what i get with the first 2 lines pasted in.

Attachments

• File not dissplayed.PNG
    File not dissplayed.PNG
    150.4 KB · Views: 29
There are far more lines then that.
Please navigate to the site of that link.

(I sometimes wonder whether this is a real question.....)

Last edited:
When i try and create a dump file with microsoft edge , the dump file is greyed out .

Attachments

• Dump Greyed.PNG
    Dump Greyed.PNG
    112.1 KB · Views: 29
For some reason microsoft edge was left open , with the msg create dump . I think it worked that time . Just have to find it now .

Attachments

• DUMP FILE.PNG
    DUMP FILE.PNG
    618.6 KB · Views: 32
The dump file that has been created during your tests with that disk, are important and may reveal a clue what is wrong, either with that disc or wrong with your system.
Creating a dump yourself wil not help.

Back