Windows 10 Hardrives not running at correct speed.

Hi,
could you post some details on your system please. As well as the speeds being reported thank you.

Core i5 760
ASUS P7P55D-E LX mobo
Windows 10 Home (x64)

Long story short, old SSD died on me. Had it running in same exact system with write speeds @ 700+ MB/sec. (SATA III) That was on Windows 7 though, with the correct drivers from Marvell.

I bought a new SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 500GB), it is only running at 3Gb/sec speeds, @ about 375 MB/sec.

I am thinking that even tho these Marvell 91XX drivers for Win10 installed and are displaying in Device Mgr correctly , they are not working properly and that's why I am stuck at SATAII speeds.

My BIOS indicates the new drive should be operating at 6Gb/sec, as well as Samsung's (useless) SSD software.

The exact name if the Marvell controller I have is "Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter".

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. If I can't get the drive up to speed, I will either go back to Win7 or just live with the drive at half the speed it should/could be.

Hi,
I did some checking and those Marvel controllers do run a little slower, isn't there a Intel port available as you have 6 of those?

Check this post I found via Tomshardware: Bad Speeds Marvel 91xx Controller New SSD - [Solved] - Storage

I also checked your driver support and your board is only supported up to Windows 8.1. so might be worth going back to an earlier os although I still doubt whether you'll get faster speeds unless you use rapid mode via the Samsung Magician app?

Looks like the motherboard SATA ports operate at 250MBps unless you enable "IO Level Up" (a little toggle switch) which should bump them up to 500MBps which is close to the max throughput on the 850 evo 540MBps

Back
Top Bottom