Windows 7 Having a offline Computer hooked up to a online network

riomcnabkorff

Hey guys,

I have a small network, running 5 computers. One of these computers needs to stay offline, but is needing to connect to the network to backup on the backup drive.

Is there a way I can use windows firewall to block all internet access to this computer?

Thanks

In theory, that's what the firewall is already doing :)

I suspect that what you mean is that you want to prevent that computer accessing the internet?
If so, then that's a whole different ballgame.
The best solution is to prevent ALL access to that computer except for authorised personnel - who may need internet access for updates etc. - and limit them to user accounts rather than admin accounts (except for the real admin) - you can then lock down User account access using GPO if you have Pro or Ultimate (but I have to admit that I don't know the specifics)

What's the OS?
Home Premium, Pro or what?
You may also be able to block HTTP egress at the router for that machine - check the router manual.

Win 7 ultimate. Its also on a network designed by a jackass, 5 routers all different brands jumbled together. Finding the right cable and router would be like trying to find a needle in a needle stack.

I guess I just like difficult

WTF?
A router for each PC?? WTH did the guy think he was doing?

At this point all bets are off - you'd be better to start from scratch! (At least that way you have a chance of understanding the network)
I'd love to se a network diagram of that - NOT! (except for giggles)

You could cut that down to two, easily (assuming at least one is an 8-port router) - and have the accounts machine on an isolated network with port 80 closed off.

Is there a Server in the mix, or is it a peer network?

Finding out which router connects to the affected PC is simple, if they're wired - check the lights on the router, then unplug the problem PC and see which light goes out :)

I think its going to come to that, absolute pain because they keep on changing what they want done, and I was out of my depth to begin with. No server, just the machines and a DNS device they are backing up to.

If any of the machines that are backing up get infected then they can pass it to the backup unit.
Joe

I realise that. Originally the solution in place was that the offline machine backed up on to an external hard drive, but they want it backing up onto the DNS device.

Back
Top Bottom