Windows 8 Having Windows 8 activation problem

HondaLuv3r4Life

Hi everyone. So I bought a copy of windows 8 pro today at Best Buy. After I got home and installed the OS(I did a clean install), come to find out only AFTER I finished installing the OS it said that it wont activate because I did the clean install with an upgrade disc. The is no indication its an upgrade disk. Why doesn't Microsoft tell people this when someone buys the new OS? I shouldn't have to buy a cd key to fix this, this is bullshit! Anyone else had this problem? after paying for Win8, you shouldn't be limited to what type of install you can do because you need separate cd keys for either type of install.

You haven't really fully taken possession of the "Upgrade" until you make a correct purchase of that same upgrade. This would include a Key, which is, in reality, the only thing you are purchasing. Did the store which gave you the upgrade not also give you a key . Or?

Sorry don't know your name but,

Go back to stupid Best Buy. Not applicable to yell @ Microsoft. How much did you pay for the disc you bought from them? An Upgrade disc retail box is $70. The System Builder version is I think, if they are even on shelves now is well over $100. Price is an indication; what did you pay for it. Plus should have Upgrade written on its box OR on the disc; if it's an Upgrade... @ least that was the case in the past. I'll admit I've not had a box copy in my hand.. we've been using burn DVDs after downloading the .ISO This is an Upgrade & we've been doing cleans from there. See if you would answer the questions I ask, please. Read on...

Plus, I'm having a hard time making sense out of this because we've been doing clean installs w/ Upgrades 'all day long'. The Key is usually on the disc case or inside the case that is in the box.

And David is quite right. You are not buying the disc, you are buying the License. The Key represents that license.

If you are sure you have what you paid for either get BB to sort it out or call MS. I'll give you the #...

Did you put it on a new/blank HDD?

The number is 1-877-426-6010 Wait for the prompts.

Please, tell me more (details) about what you were putting it on & how you were doing it. Describe the PC & its history

All the OS SKUs are on the discs... the KEY denotes what license has been purchased.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

I got on the phone with Microsoft this morning, they activated it from their end :) I did receive a key with the disc, but it wouldn't activate because it told me I cant use the key from doing a clean install. If I had known this, I probably would have waited a bit longer but was having major problems with 7 forcing me to upgrade now. Now the thing is, after Microsoft activated it for me, I can see in the window that shows windows is activated, I want to see if there's a way to reveal the rest of the cd key so that I can use it next time I have to reinstall 8 and can hopefully in doing so, avoid this activation issue completely.

Closest you can come, IMO, is the Product ID. However, of course, that is not the License Key

Anyway, glad it's sorted, glad if I was any help & thanks for the info & update; it's good news

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Yeah its all worked out now, long as I don't have to reinstall 8 sometime down the line I don't anticipate it being a problem again lol. Thanks for the help guys!

Unzip the attached and run the.exe. It will reveal the key, if Microsoft have included it. This is quite legal and only intercepts the location of the key in your installation, as could be done manually. I have not heard of the solution, as you experienced it, so perhaps the key is not actually implanted on your OS.?

I think \"upgrade\" is the key word here, you are upgrading from an existing O/S to windows 8, like windows 7 to windows 8 pro, I just did myself and worked perfectly got all the added features, worked like a charm.

My Win 8 install deactivated and reactivated on the next boot up. It's a laptop so no change in hardware was possible. Just pushed the activation date from October 27 to November 2. Thought I'd have to call Microsoft but it self corrected. Bug?

Yep, Rob, it'll do that. ;) Good pun, btw... considering it's all about Windows 8, "worked like a charm". Well, anyway, I got a pun & a chuckle out of it :) Have good times w/ it.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Actually, I had an issue where it rebooted and I lost other application's registration. It did it to me when I installed Media Center using the free MC key that they're giving out... I've never seen Windows 8 lose it's registration.

Ah, ok Don, w/ you, now. Anyway, he rang MS & issue was resolved since then.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Most likely the key you have is for a Windows 8 Update and can not be used on a clean install. This is what you need to do:
1) I find it best to set SATA mode to ACHI in the BIOS as this can use TRIM and has less problems with Windows Chk Dsk (Check Disk Utility) caused by Windows 8
2) Install WINDOWS 8
3) Re-Install Windows 8 (take the Customise option and then the Advanced option for disk partitioning, delete the system (0) partition then the Windows 8 partition (1). Next take the option to create a new partition (Windows will also create a system partition) and carry on installing Windows 8 in the usual way.
Why Install Twice you may ask, when Windows 8 install the 2nd time it finds an Operating System on the drive and records this in Memory and allows the PC to install and Active Windows 8 when installing.

HaVe A NiCe DaY

Back
Top Bottom