Windows 7 Help! 0x124 error.

Jared44

Extraordinary Member
I don't know what's caused this, my pc is less than a year old and I haven't changed any hardware except the ram but the new ram was faulty so I swapped it back, I've had many blue screens indicating drivers but yesterday while I was playing a game I got a BSOD, I'd be very surprised if it was actually hardware related because this PC is quite new. The only thing I can think of that might be Is drivers because I've had loads of driver issues in the past and it wouldn't surprise me if it caused this one. And I only ever get BSODs when playing games. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Hi, any chance of some screenies of the memory in cpu-z all slots and the spd tab, I've seen this before with misconfigured ram. There again screenies of all the pages on cpu-z would be better.

These files contain my system info and the dump file of the blue screen.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.zip
    251.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 080813-14320-01.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 262
Can you go into your bios and find the memory setting and set CR(Command rate) to 2T from 1T and do some tests to see how it behaves.

Can I ask why? And I've only had this BSOD once, should I do this anyway? Or should I wait and see if I get another BSOD?

Is just a suggestion, however there is also an updated bios http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77M_LE/#support_Download_30 which may help without altering said setting. I suggested the cr timing as I've seen 0x124 numerous times caused my memory set to 1T, I do suggest you double check I've got the board correct. The cpu-z says thats the board. But still double check it as I'd prefer not to cause further issues.

Would reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows fix the problem?

I don't think so. This is a WHEA BSOD, which means a piece of hardware (in this case, your CPU) has notified Windows that it has experienced a hardware problem. The issue is that an unspecified error occurred when the L2 cache inside the CPU was working with some other part of the system. It may very well be a mobo bug like nmsuk mentioned, or a memory timing issue. So first thing should be to update that BIOS!

This can also be caused by bugs in motherboard software, which I've seen happen before a number of times. If this is a custom system, I recommend looking at the manufacturer's website for your motherboard for the list of software associated with it, and go through your system and un install all of it. They are typically gimmicky and serve no benefit and are often quite buggy as well. The only stuff you should have still (and updated) are device drivers specific to parts of your mobo in order to have them function, such as USB3.0 drivers, audio drivers, network drivers, etc. Anything that claims it "adds", "enhances", "updates" or "monitors" features on your mobo should go. I've even seen mobo driver update software cause these WHEAs before, so make sure they all go.

You may try the reformat and reinstall Windows option if you want to be sure all that software is gone, but it's a little excessive. Still if you wanna go through with it, I recommend backing up a disk image like with Clonezilla of your Windows drive so that you can return things back to their previous state without losing anything if it just so happens to not work.

Analysts:

Code:
*  Bugcheck Analysis  *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8006b60028, be200000, 5110a}

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Debuggers\x64\triage\modclass.ini, error 2
Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Followup: MachineOwner

0: kd> !errrec fffffa8006b60028
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ fffffa8006b60028
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id  : 01ce94517fb41063
Severity  : Fatal (1)
Length  : 928
Creator  : Microsoft
Notify Type  : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp  : 8/8/2013 22:41:15 (UTC)
Flags  : 0x00000000

Section 0  : Processor Generic
Descriptor  @ fffffa8006b600a8
Section  @ fffffa8006b60180
Offset  : 344
Length  : 192
Flags  : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity  : Fatal

Proc. Type  : x86/x64
Instr. Set  : x64
Error Type  : Cache error
Operation  : Generic
Flags  : 0x00
Level  : 2
CPU Version  : 0x00000000000306a9
Processor ID  : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1  : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor  @ fffffa8006b600f0
Section  @ fffffa8006b60240
Offset  : 536
Length  : 128

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id  : a9 06 03 00 00 08 10 00 - ff e3 ba 7f ff fb eb bf
  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Proc. Info 0  @ fffffa8006b60240

Section 2  : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor  @ fffffa8006b60138
Section  @ fffffa8006b602c0
Offset  : 664
Length  : 264

Error  : GCACHEL2_ERR_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 6)
  Status  : 0xbe2000000005110a
  Address  : 0x0000000001dff680
  Misc.  : 0x0000015080000086

Hmm, well. Like I've said, I've had this PC since March time and I've had BSODs but nothing that points to hardware. So I'm not entirely convinced it's hardware at all... But I really don't know. I'm actually thinking of taking to a local PC shop and get him to take a look at it. I don't know that much about PCs so if rather a professional take a look at it.

I can tell you that very particular drivers are responsible for causing these kind of BSODs, and just about all of them are in the realm of drivers associated with gimmicky motherboard software. For the rare occasion that it is a driver that's doing it, for all other instances WHEA BSODs stems from hardware. BIOS issues can also contribute to this, so again, it's best to update your BIOS. Of course, if you are not comfortable with such tasks, taking it to a professional is certainly the best way to approach this. Plus they have resources like replacement parts available that contribute very well to diagnostics.

So could it be drivers that are causing this BSOD even though it points at a fatal hardware error? And if so then it doesn't surprise me, I've had including this type 3 other types of BSODs, most of which pointing to drivers.

It could, but for this type of BSOD, it is rare. The most common cause of WHEA BSODs is hardware failure, particularly the CPU, RAM, Mobo or PSU.

If it is the hardware, yes, it requires replacing the bad part. Unfortunately for something like this it requires looking at parts that are very difficult or impossible to diagnose what part needs replacing outside process of elimination, so the best thing to do is have it serviced. If your system is an OEM system (e.g. Dell, Asus, HP) and not custom, then instead of taking it to a PC shop you should put that warranty to good use and save yourself a lot of money by having calling your OEM and have them service/replace it. The warranty is there to save you money, so make it work for you.

Otherwise, if it is custom, then have a PC shop take a look at it. Tell them what we told you - that it's a WHEA BSOD and that it's most likely the RAM, CPU, PSU or Mobo - and they can take it from there. If you want to do some preliminary testing, I recommend an overnight run of Memtest. Also if you have an OEM system it most likely has a diagnostic suite as part of the BIOS that you can run. You will need to run it once before they'll do anything with the system, as they're looking for results from it.

The PC shop I'm wanting to take it to is the same place I got my PC, he built me the PC. So I'm hoping there's still warranty on it.

If it's custom made, the parts are most likely under separate factory warranties which can be used to replace the parts at no charge, provided they are faulty. So it will not save you as much money as an OEM will (which will cost nothing), but it will save money by not having the PC Shop buy a new part for the bad one. That is of course if the PC Shop is an honest business. If they charge you for the part, question them about the part warranty and why it was necessary to bill for the part.

Ok thanks a lot. I'll take it down tomorrow. And I'll see what he says. The only recent hardware I changed was a few weeks ago, I installed new ram. I ended up getting 0x000000C4 BSODs pointing towards ntoskrnl.exe driver. Which is to do with hardware HDD and RAM I believe. Anyway. I changed back to my old ram and it stopped that BSOD.

I have checked the BIOS for timings and voltage and they are all on auto as they were before.

Back
Top Bottom