Windows 7 Help! 64 bit or 32 bit?

Migs

I need help figuring out whether I should install a 64 bit or 62 bit version of Win 7 because I'm having some trouble deciding.

Here's my system information:

Component Details

Processor AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 4.8

Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M

Gaming graphics 1071 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk 34GB Free (137GB Total)

Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

System
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
64-bit capable Yes
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 149 GB
Disk partition (C:) 34 GB Free (137 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (12 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
Total available graphics memory 1071 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1007 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.7713
Primary monitor resolution 1280x800
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
Network
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Network Adapter Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
It did say 64-bit capable but I stumbled upon this piece of information which confused me:

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you'll need to back up your files and then perform a custom installation of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

Q #1: So can I install a 64-bit Win 7 on my system?

Here's another one that made my mind boggled:

gl_arrow_down_static.gif
Would I benefit from using a 64-bit computer?

The benefits are most apparent when you have a large amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer (typically 4 GB of RAM or more). Because a 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system can, a 64-bit system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently.

Q #2: My system has a total amount of system memory of 3 GB of RAM. So I shouldn't install a 64-bit Win 7 because I have less than 4 GB of RAM?

Also, if it's not much trouble, I also play World of Warcraft a lot and I was wondering if 7- 9 FPS in Dalaran with all low settings (except the resolution which is 1280x800) normal for this machine? I could lower the resolution to improve the performance but is their any other way?

Personally I think you should always install x64 OS's on x64 processors. I looked up your graphics chip Link Removed due to 404 Error and it is listed in the supported Windows 7 drivers, so go for it. Probably download it first though and put it on a disk or another partition.

The amount of RAM you have makes no difference, other than you can have more than 3.5GB. I have put a x64 OS on a laptop with 512 with no problems (although it was upgraded a week later with 2GB more).

Last edited:
Is it possible to put the installer for Win 7 in a external HD instead of burning it in a DVD?

I usually install from a bootable pen drive and have never tried this method, but Im sure it works the same. Heres the guide. Additionally, here is a guide to install from pen drive.

Thanks for the help, I'll post the results as soon as I finished with the installation.

I have a similar laptop DV6500us (w/ 7150m / 630m) but am having issues installing the proper NVIDIA drivers. I get the "No AGEIA PhysX" message from the NVIDIA control panel. Did you ever have success? How would I go about fixing this?

Back