Windows 7 [Help] Automatic updates reset computer

x2o

Hi there,

This morning, automatic updates basically reset my computer. I am using Windows 7 Starter on a relatively old computer. The last time I accepted automatic updates my computer crashed, so I typically refrain from accepting them.

When I turned on my computer today and saw what happened, I checked the automatic updates log, and sure enough, there had been numerous updates. The only other odd thing I can think of is that my hard drive was running out of space before today. Yesterday it had about 70 mb free, but today there is about 900 mb free after the reset.

Some symptoms of the reset:

All my desktop items are gone and the background is black.
To access files and folders, I have to go through My Computer and Local Disk (C:). For example, to access the files that were on my desktop yesterday, I have to go to C:\Users\***\Desktop. Clicking the desktop shortcut in Windows Explorer doesn't lead to the same place.
The font is smaller and different.
Google Chrome completely reset itself (no theme, bookmarks, extensions, etc.)
The programs in the toolbar and Start Menu don't appear.
Basically, all the personalizations I ever made to Windows are gone.

Is there any way to undo this? Is it even possible to undo an automatic update? I'm pretty upset about this because everything is either gone or out of place. Any sort of help would be absolutely wonderful, and thank you in advance!

Here is my system information if it is necessary.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Starter
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ***-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 3000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2793 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)

With that little free space you're lucky not to have more problems.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom