Windows 7 Help! Can't boot the computer. BSOD attached.

EliasTheGreat

I really need help from you guys! It's really important.

I am a music producer who makes music over my computer for 2 years now (the same computer). Never seen this error on my computer before.

It was early the next morning I found out about it. I turned my computer on, started loading the logo at the startup. I remember thinking it was kinda strange because I did not turn the computer completly off, so why is it starting from scratch. Like it had been without power for some time. Right before the "windows login screen" appeared. A BSOD screen popped up. I was fast to take pictures of it, so you can see.

I tried to do a system recover with the windows Fixing tool at boot-up. Seemed like it did nothing, because when I rebooted, the same BSOD came up. So I though the computer didn't complete the system recover, but when I went into "safemode" it said "successfully recovered the computers state back to (a few weeks back)" Something like that. So the system did actually do the recover, but the computer still can't boot. I need to get back to producing music fast, so I need help to fix this.

The pictures I've attaced is two of the BSOD, and a few of the "windows has recovered from an unexpecting shutdown" from when I went into safemode after. You can find the pictures by following this link: (could'nt find out how to attach pictures.)

http://postimg.org/gallery/26c8snoe/01049396/

I ran the W7F Diagnostic Tool. And have attached the ZIP. with the files I got from running the different tools. Like CPU-Z (didn't get much information from this one. I am in safemode, and the graphics have changed to intergrated (basic) and so on. So almost everything is blank, but I'll attach it anyways.) All in one zip, like you told me to. I am sorry for posting without reading your Thread first Trouble.

I tried to attach the file to this thread, but got a error when Uploading, so I uploaded it to Mediafire. Please help me out!
Download here.

Great regards. Elias (Seeking answers)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forums.

First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Then……Please read the first post in this sticky thread here How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
Do your best to accumulate the data required.
Run the SF Diagnostic tool (download and right click the executable and choose run as administrator)
Download and run CPUz. Use the Windows snipping tool to gather images from all tabs including all slots populated with memory under the SPD tab.Likewise RAMMon. Export the html report, put everything into a desktop folder that you've created for this purpose, zip it up and attach it to your next post (right click it and choose send to, compressed (zipped) folder.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.

Then……Please read the first post in this sticky thread here How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
Do your best to accumulate the data required.
Run the SF Diagnostic tool (download and right click the executable and choose run as administrator)
Download and run CPUz. Use the Windows snipping tool to gather images from all tabs including all slots populated with memory under the SPD tab.Likewise RAMMon. Export the html report, put everything into a desktop folder that you've created for this purpose, zip it up and attach it to your next post (right click it and choose send to, compressed (zipped) folder.
I edited the Post. You can all now check the Files I've attached. All the dumpfiles,CPU-Z screenshots, and some other screenshots. Please help.

Hello EliasTheGreat,

as far as i can analyze from your most recent minidump (061514-2738-01.dmp) the issue seems to be the graphics card driver which as i can see is pretty old and outdated. Please make sure that you have the current most up to date driver from AMD.

The BSOD was arised as far as i can see by a driver issue ( DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT )

This: IMAGE_NAME: atikmdag.sys , tells me that the ATI driver is the issue of your BSOD and as i can see here:

fffff880`04809000 fffff880`04850000 atikmpag atikmpag.sys Wed Aug 11 03:13:54 2010 (4C61F952)

The driver you have currently installed on your system is dated 2010 which is too old, so please first uninstall the current Catalyst Control Center as well as all other applications of your Graphics Card. Make a fresh install of the current up to date driver and reply here how it went.

Best Regards!

Hello EliasTheGreat,

as far as i can analyze from your most recent minidump (061514-2738-01.dmp) the issue seems to be the graphics card driver which as i can see is pretty old and outdated. Please make sure that you have the current most up to date driver from AMD.

The BSOD was arised as far as i can see by a driver issue ( DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT )

This: IMAGE_NAME: atikmdag.sys , tells me that the ATI driver is the issue of your BSOD and as i can see here:

fffff880`04809000 fffff880`04850000 atikmpag atikmpag.sys Wed Aug 11 03:13:54 2010 (4C61F952)

The driver you have currently installed on your system is dated 2010 which is too old, so please first uninstall the current Catalyst Control Center as well as all other applications of your Graphics Card. Make a fresh install of the current up to date driver and reply here how it went.

Best Regards!
Thank you so much for the reply. I tried what you said, and uninstalled the drivers and ATI program. After rebooting the computer, the BSOD was gone. But I had no Graphic drivers. I thought I had fixed it but.. After re-installing the ATI Catalyst Control Center, and new ATI graphic drivers I had to re-boot the computer for the changes to be done. After turning the computer on again, the same BSOD came back. Please help!

Best Regards Elias.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff880048559a1, fffff880035a88f8, fffff880035a8150}

Probably caused by : HDAudBus.sys ( HDAudBus!HdaBusInterface::TransferCodecVerbs+d1 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
most of the dump files you sent point to the AMD gpu driver as a possible culprit. Usually with laptops the drivers are supplied by the actual laptop manufacturer and looking through the Dell support page I see there are later drivers available. They aren't by no means current but try installing them anyway.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-m17x/drivers

Check that Windows itself hasn't become corrupted. Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and choose run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

AVG AV can also cause issues from time to time. Try switching to MSE as it's very stable:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

If the bsod's continue please download the latest copy of memtest86 here:
http://www.memtest.org/
This guide although a little old will explain how best to use it:
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tutorial-how-to-use-memtest.62524/

Post any new dump files.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff880048559a1, fffff880035a88f8, fffff880035a8150}

Probably caused by : HDAudBus.sys ( HDAudBus!HdaBusInterface::TransferCodecVerbs+d1 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
most of the dump files you sent point to the AMD gpu driver as a possible culprit. Usually with laptops the drivers are supplied by the actual laptop manufacturer and looking through the Dell support page I see there are later drivers available. They aren't by no means current but try installing them anyway.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-m17x/drivers

Check that Windows itself hasn't become corrupted. Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and choose run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

AVG AV can also cause issues from time to time. Try switching to MSE as it's very stable:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

If the bsod's continue please download the latest copy of memtest86 here:
http://www.memtest.org/
This guide although a little old will explain how best to use it:
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tutorial-how-to-use-memtest.62524/

Post any new dump files.
Hey again! I was thinking about the ATI problem coming back. I think am onto something here. After deleting the Drivers and dll's and installing new ones, the problem came back. Whenever I remove the drivers and turn my computer on again (without the graphic drivers ofc) It works fine without the drivers. But in the bottom left corner I can see the computer installing some drivers. Just like it would If you stick a new usb into the usb port. Opening the "overview" over what drivers it's intalling, I can see it's the graphic card drivers. The new ATI, without me doing anything. So it seems impossible to uninstall the ATI drivers because they just re-install themselves.

And something else... Whenever I try to put my computer to sleep it won't, I have to turn it completly off. So whenever I turn in back on, I have to go through the "start windows normally" process. Just like I would if the computer had been without the charger for some time. Please respond fast!

It sounds like windows is auto installing the latest drivers for you. To stop Windows from doing this you'll need to change your settings:

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter. Look acroos the top for Hardware tab and click that. You'll see that near the bottom is a button for 'Device installation settings'. Click that and on the next dialogue box you'll see the question:
Do you want Windows to download driver software and icons for your devices.
You need to click the option: No, let me choose what to do.
Underneath that you'll also see an option to never install driver software from Windows update. Make sure you click that too.
Click save changes and then remove the driver again. This time nothing should install. I would try the driver from the website again but see how you go..

Regarding the sleep issue.. Did you run the sfc /scannow I mentioned above? If not try running it as it may help.

It sounds like windows is auto installing the latest drivers for you. To stop Windows from doing this you'll need to change your settings:

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter. Look acroos the top for Hardware tab and click that. You'll see that near the bottom is a button for 'Device installation settings'. Click that and on the next dialogue box you'll see the question:
Do you want Windows to download driver software and icons for your devices.
You need to click the option: No, let me choose what to do.
Underneath that you'll also see an option to never install driver software from Windows update. Make sure you click that too.
Click save changes and then remove the driver again. This time nothing should install. I would try the driver from the website again but see how you go..

Regarding the sleep issue.. Did you run the sfc /scannow I mentioned above? If not try running it as it may help.
I am gonna try what you just said. I did actually do the /scannow. It said everything was good.

Ok, Let us know how you get on with the driver.
I did what you said. And the boxes you wanted me to "check" were already "clicked". It's almost like it can detect that some of my hardware don't have drivers installed for them and starts to "help" me with installing them for me... Just like it would if I plugged a new USB device into one of the ports. It will automatically start installing the drivers for it.

One more thing, I read a guide on how to "completly uninstall ati drivers" and its a long list of files I need to delete. First I went to this directory C:\Windows\winsxs and was supposed to delete every file that had "atiilhag.inf" in their name.. In the directory I could see two folders that had the same files in them. Including "atikmdag.sys". The file that's mentioned in the BSOD! So just to sum it up. Its two folders with all the same files in them. Almost looks duplicated. One folder is from 2010 and the other one 2013. So the folders got 1 "atikmdag.sys" each. Please respond fast.

Best regards.

Try using this app for cleaning out your drivers as it will remove anything old thats lying around. I'd be very careful about deleting individual files and dll's.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
Neither is it unusual to see different dates for the AMD driver. This is because Windows carries drivers for AMD, Nvidia and Intel . This is to allow windows graphics to work when you first install it although it's always desirable to use the latest gpu driver eventually.
This is the correct driver for your gpu:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows 7 - 64
If that gives you issues I'd try the Dell driver.

Post any new dump files.

Thank you all for helping me solve this problem! Thanks to Trouble for helping me with what a BSOD thread should look like! Thanks to OnlyPrinzP for leading me in the right direction! And Thanks to Kemical for helping me put the pieces together! I am so greatful!! Thank you all!

Now I am up for helping anyone with a similar problem! Here's how I did it!

It started out as a BSOD at the startup. The file was Atikmdag.sys (as you can see in the picture)
bsod.jpg
I was told by OnlyPrinzP and Kemical that this problem was with the ATI drivers. So I started looking into this problem. I was at the time only able to get the computer into safemode (when you start your computer from scratch and see the "windows logo", In my case the "alienware logo" start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. And you will get the "safe mode" option on your screen) If you can't get it to work, watch this video.
While being in the safe mode I was able to uninstall ATI drivers from the device manager (you can search for it in the windows search bar) and you will see your Graphics drivers under the Display adapters. You can from there right click your drivers and click uninstall. The next time you turn your computer on you'll most likely be able to boot it the normal way (not safe mode). From there you'll maybe run into the same problem as me... Windows starts to install the drivers for the ATI card automatically. Like this:
auto installing.jpg

Without having a chance of stopping it. Even if you turn you internet off, it'll still be going. That's because the drivers are still on your computer somewhere and windows are installing them from there. So what you got to do is to locate the files. I had deleted all the main ATI folders:
C:\Program Files\ATI
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies

after the drivers kept on re-insalling themselves, I went for the more desperate solution. I searched the internet for a solution and a guy had put up a guide to "100% remove ati drivers" the guide told me to delete files from the directory:

C:\Windows\winsxs DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!

I was smart enough to back up the files before deleting two of them. They were MANIFEST files.
This will make your windows corrupted! Do not do this mistake!
Kemical at this forum told me to do the command:

sfc /scannow

into command prompt. You search for cmd in the windows search bar and run as admin. Just like this:
cmd.jpg

Type the command above into the command prompt. I did this and found out my windows had corrupted files. I knew this had to do with the deleting of .MANIFEST files from winsxs.
scannow.png

I had made copies of the .MANIFEST files before deleting them, so I placed the copies back in the "winsxs" folder and ran the command again. This time windows was able to repair the corrupted files (the .MANIFEST files)

After this was done, I was back to trying to find the "driver files". I went into the Device manager again. (like I told you longer up in the post) and opened Properties. (like in the picture)
device manager.jpg

from there I clicked the "driver" tap on the top. In that windows You'll click the "driver details". From there you'll be able to see where some of the files are hidden. Some are in the:

C:\Program Files\AMD
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ ATI Technologies\Multi Media

It's okay to delete the files from the directories above ↑.
BUT DO NOT DELETE FROM ANY OF THE OTHER DIRECTORIES, JUST THE ONES ABOVE!

After this was done, windows stopped "re-installing" the drivers whenever I turned my computer "on or off"

So.. For deleting the resisting files, use:
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Just like Kemical recommended.
After this head to whatever homepage you graphic manufacturer have. Mine is ati:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

AMD is ATI.

I know my card is an AMD mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series.
card.jpg

So I'll be downloading the drivers like this:
amd.jpg

Hope you learned/fixed your problem with my solution. And once again! Big Thanks to: Trouble, OnlyPrinzP and Kemical!

Best regards Elias Dølmo!

Back