Windows 10 help cant merge c:\ partitions

roxx1968

trying to move my C:\ drive to a new SSD, tried easeus clone but pc wont boot from ssd after clone, used easybcd 2.3 to fix boot sector on ssd, didnt work, tried bcdboot C:\Windows /s E: in shell/admin said boot files copied, ssd will boot to a recovery screen with error cant load system32/winload.exe, starting to get annoyed, so after research on easeus seems clone doesn't work now it used to in the old days could clone c: and bam ya was good to go, ok so now with easeus ya have to use system clone to do this but my new ssd is a 960mb since it was a GOOD deal compared to 1TB one and easeus says target drive to small since my C: is a 1TB , so go into disk management and make a new partition with the windows since the used space on my c: is less than 960mb so made new partition, now back into easeus to system clone to ssd says needs to delete partition on new ssd and when say ok it shows new drive as having 2 partitions same as c: source now, I really don't want 2 partitions on the new drive since after going back to disk management I cant merge the 2 back into the 1 I had before on my original C:, even tried easeus free and when click merge you can click them both and it shows the new drive as 1 paritition like I want but the ok button is greyed out and the ! message up top says "system partition or boot partition can only be set as destination". The option to delete either partition on c: is greyed out also in easeus and also windows disk management. so does anyone know how to make my new ssd boot with the windows that it got on the initial clone I have tried everything I can think, and or also how can I merge my 2 partitions on c: back to one?

Depending on the system drive configuration is after the clone of the OS partition. Do you have both drives in or just the one new one. The BCD store is not likely to be configured correctly. It's not exactly an easy topic to discuss or direct someone how to fix it over a forum.

fixed it: downloaded windows media creation kit, made usb flash drive bootable with the .iso, did clean install windows 10 prox64 on ssd, new clean windows seemed fine after all updates, start pulling my games off backup usb external drive they would cause system hang/crash, annoyed again lol, struggled for many hours, repeat new win10 install as mentioned above, update drivers-stable make restore point, update DX-stable make restore point, somewhere In there used a driver scan software found 3 outdated drivers ide/atapi x2, amd smbus, install all 3 updated drivers, system unstable again, AH HA!!! rollback amd smbus driver BANG stable system all games running fine. so after 2nd clean install of win10 i told it to hold on updates and system was stable made restore point then got updates I noticed the culprit was there in updates amd smbus driver so let it do all then after reboot roolback the driver on it, bang system stable games all run no crash after all updates to win10 BUT the amd smbus, after research on amd smbus driver amd guys say there really isn't a driver because when you click the details of it under device manager it says no drivers but if there really isnt a driver why bother with updating it so somethings up so very baffling but I know the latest driver which also says isn't even there causes system stutter/hang/crash randomly, after 1st win10 install was able to convert the partitions on my old original c: from mbr/system to ntfs and then delete and create and merge so that's fixed to yay, sometimes it seems the evil pc gods just make you fight the good fight now and then but I think I won this one after 2 days of hell haha

I may know why the amd smbus driver is unstable my mobo which is asus m5a88-m the last drivers that amd even made for it are win 8 so maybe its an older smbus trying to work with the new driver and the new driver isn't really for it so that's why it works with the old driver for it and all the while amd guys say that theres really not an actual driver loaded at all lol

same exact problem happened again after I thought I had fixed it lol after reading on Wikipedia about smbus its a very simple 2 wire system that does very basic things some involve the cmos battery AH HA!! my cmos battery has been dead since last summer but since I never cold boot always sleep the system it has never been a problem so after reading about what all can be affected by dead cmos battery can cause some drivers to fail AH HA ok go grab a new a new cmos battery BAM fixed! thought after install it I would have to setup drives etc in bios nope system just booted exactly as it should and OMFG win10 loaded to login screen in literally 1 second flat i was like son of a!!! never ever ever seen win10 load that fast ever all hail ya OS on a SSD!!! hell yeah sing it then!!!!! system 100% fixed now this time im sure of it!!! and my mobo which is not even supported for win10 which has an old amd 880g chipset runs flawlessly on win10 pro x64 latest build fully updated. I could have save myself 2 days of pain if I woulda just popped in a $2 battery!! as Alanis said it: we live we learn we lose we learn we live we learn 10 to 1 says I'll never try to run a system with a dead cmos battery bet!

Back