Windows 10 Help expanding the C drive

Rustlol

Hello,
My C drive is almost full, 6 GB left now. I tried using EaseUS application to expand, but no use. I think because I have 2 different Disks. Disk 1 is the C drive which is almost full, and Disk 2 is my D drive, it has 300GB left, I want to take some from D drive to my C drive. Anyone knows if it's possible?
Thanks

Hi

If your C:\ drive is a full hard drive and has no other partitions on it, other than the normal ones that Windows creates as part of the install then there's not much that you can do. It's size is what it is.

What you can do is move stuff to Drive D:\ i.e. Photos, Music, Documents etc.

You can even uninstall and reinstall your software and move it to D:\ in the process.

I don't install any of my software to drive C:\, when Installing anything I change the C:\ to D:\ Then I let it create a new folder, as a result my C:\ drive only uses about 75 GB of disk space.

It will create a new Program Files and Program Files (x86) folder just like the ones on C:\ as long as you change only the C and use the default address otherwise.

You can also move the Users folder to another drive (I've never done this myself) on my computer the Users folder uses half the space on my C:\ drive.

Here's an article about how to do it.
I didn't read all of this, but it looks like it explains everything.

Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

Note that it says you shouldn't move software, that's why I uninstall and reinstall it to move it to D:\.

Beyond that there isn't much that you can do.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

If your C:\ drive is a full hard drive and has no other partitions on it, other than the normal ones that Windows creates as part of the install then there's not much that you can do. It's size is what it is.

What you can do is move stuff to Drive D:\ i.e. Photos, Music, Documents etc.

You can even uninstall and reinstall your software and move it to D:\ in the process.

I don't install any of my software to drive C:\, when Installing anything I change the C:\ to D:\ Then I let it create a new folder, as a result my C:\ drive only uses about 75 GB of disk space.

It will create a new Program Files and Program Files (x86) folder just like the ones on C:\ as long as you change only the C and use the default address otherwise.

You can also move the Users folder to another drive (I've never done this myself) on my computer the Users folder uses half the space on my C:\ drive.

Here's an article about how to do it.
I didn't read all of this, but it looks like it explains everything.

Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

Note that it says you shouldn't move software, that's why I uninstall and reinstall it to move it to D:\.

Beyond that there isn't much that you can do.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I figured that out already. But now I can confirm there isn't much to do

Given the low price of hard drives nowadays I'd buy a bigger one and just clone the existing drive C onto the new bigger drive.

Download du to see what you have as far as files and folders that can be cleaned up. Disk Usage. You also may consider re-instaling your applications on the D drive and then remove them from C. If you have a large picture collection or music/movies you can also easily move them to the D drive and simply repoint your applications to them.

Back