Windows 7 Help for help (winhlp32.exe)

slsmvs

Honorable Member
Is there a 64-bit Win 7 version of winhlp32.exe available yet? I really need to get to the help functions of an old app that otherwise works fine in Win 7.

Winhlp32 is the only help file made available by Microsoft. You might find this useful reading:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
The help file in the RTM 64Bit (which I am using ) points to a subfolder in the Window folder, containg 301 files and is 44mbs in size. As with Vista, you can also choose to link to Internet help.

But what is the app to which you refer?. Maybe someone can help you here.

The app is Ventura Publisher 10, an oldie but goody. The help in question is not Windows help but the extensive help files of Ventura. The Microsoft file winhlp32.exe is required in order to use the Ventura help. A downloadable version was made available for Vista, and one is promised for Win 7 after release. I was just asking if there is a prototype of the Win 7 version available for download and test with RC.

Wow. Yes. That brings back memories!! I was battling with the first release during the DOS days.

Anyway, on the link I gave you, there is a winhlp32 download. I tried it and it runs OK in Windows 7(64 or32). Maybe you could make some use of it??

RAK,

The downloads for both Vista and Server 2008 will not install for me on Win 7. Is there some special procedure to follow?

The thread is now old if you look at the date. But if you look at the link in my last post, it leads to your page!

How do I extract from a .CAB_ file?

When I attempt to open a .file with a CAB_ extension, I am led to MSCONFIG. There doesn't seem to be anything relevant on the TOOLS tab. Is there a specific extractor program for this type of file?

There may be others, but Winrar will open them.

I solved my problem with a trial download of STUFFIT. It gobbled up the .CAb file and extracted the three files inside. I finally was able to install WINHLP32 in Windows 7!

I consider this thread ended.

Thanks for all the hints and tips on my behalf.

Steve Samson

Back
Top Bottom