Windows 7 help for software installation in Win7 64-bit

Arto Lehikoinen

I run installation of certain apparatus I have bought. Their installation CD dates back to 2008. It has drivers in two folders, one folder for Win98 and ME, another folder for Win2K, XP, Vista.

I ran the automated installation. I can get the software come up on screen and all functions are allright, but I can not connect to my apparatus through USB-cable. The software tells me: "no serial port available"

I am not an expert user with PC. I did point installed 3rd party software to update driver from CD disc folder of a Win2K/XP/Vista, with no help.
Installation wizard installed this software in (x86) folder, which by my understanding is what it should be.

I have a Win 7 Home Premium with 64-bit installation. I can not even try ther artificial XP installation environment since my Win 7 is not the higher end package.

I do welcome any advice as how to proceed from hereon with my communication problem. Even long shot guesses are welcome.

Thank you.

Is the driver an x64 driver?

Does the device show up in the Devices and Printers window? If so, you might use the middle properties (not the one on the bottom) option to set ports for it. If it does not show up, can you add a device and get it there?

Back