Windows 7 HELP: MSCONFIG.EXE "access denied" must be logged on to an administrator account

BuffyDamion

I attempted to run msconfig to uncheck some progs in my startup, like I did already many times before, always with no problems at all.

Then my Windows 7 Ultimate PC (Dell XPS M1530) crashed with a broken RAM (one of my two 2GB is defect, so I took it out and restarted with 2GB). All is fine again, except my msconfig.exe problem ^^

It is only msconfig.exe which I have problems with so far, I can start any other prog, even gpedit.msc for example.

(maybe it helps someone, but I recognized, that when using MS Project Pro 2003 to connect to my MS Project Server 2003, it won't work anymore (it did work until yesterday). Now I got an error msg: you do not have a windows account...)

Now I get an "access denied" (try to use a user in the group administrators) error message.

My user account has administrative privileges, but the same error comes up when I activate and log on as administrator.

I also tried the following things, and nothing worked:

- start Windows in SAFE Mode and use Administrator account.

- it is not the HP-fix offered by MS, because I never installed any HP app or driver

- I used subinacl.exe with the following reset.cmd file to rechange all userrights:

(it is a German Windows 7, so it has to be administratoren instead of administrators...)
***********************************************************************************
@echo off
title Resetting ACLs...
cd /d "d:\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
echo.
echo Resetting ACLs...
echo (this may take several minutes to complete)
echo.
echo ==========================================================================
echo.
echo.
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administratoren=f /grant=Buffy=f /grant=system=f
echo.
echo.
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administratoren=f /grant=Buffy=f /grant=system=f
echo.
echo.
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administratoren=f /grant=Buffy=f /grant=system=f
echo.
echo.
echo System Drive...
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administratoren=f /grant=Buffy=f /grant=system=f
echo.
echo.
echo Windows Directory...
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administratoren=f /grant=Buffy=f /grant=system=f
echo.
echo.
***********************************************************************************

After that, I have FULL rights again as administrator and as Buffy (my normal admin account), if I check the msconfig.exe security. But still cannot execute it, not with Buffy nor with administrator.

So, maybe anyone have any idea I missed testing.

Or is there a specific registry entry controlling the msconfig.exe rights?

Thanks for any help,
BuffyDamion

Back
Top Bottom