Windows 10 help! windows 10 install then black screenand now freezing

Help! I installed windows 10 on my PC and it was working fine. Then the next thing I know, I have a black screen. I attempted the repair suggested online and now my computer boots and attempts to repair. I end up with the blue screen to choose either restart or advanced options. When I choose advanced options and try to select troubleshoot my computer freezes and I have to start all over just to get the same results. Now I am working on an ancient laptop I gave my 7 yr old a year ago and it's not working so well. What do I do to fix my PC??

Both of kemical's suggestions may help. However, if you did an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows such as Win7 or Win8/8.1; it's quite likely you have suffered a coincidental hardware failure.:waah: If you didn't run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST, and make sure your old computer is capable of running the W10 upgrade, you may have suffered either a compatibility problem with your W10 such as out of date hardware, drivers, or apps or a combination of all 3.:waah:

FYI, here's the link to instructions on how to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST. Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10

If you upgraded your computer from Win8 or Win7; your computer could be from 5-7 years old. Hard Drives for example are designed to only last 3 years in desktop PCs and only 2 years in Laptops/tablets! o_O That means that if you've never replaced the hard drive in your computer since you purchased it, it's very likely to be failing or failed altogether which means the software repairs kemical recommends will not solve your problem. :(

If this is the case, you can post back for some detailed troubleshooting and testing instructions on how to test your computer for a hardware failure such as a hard drive or RAM failure. This takes some experience with computers, so if you are not experienced you may wish to take your computer into your local licensed Comptuer Pro and have them diagnose the problem, get a written estimate for the cost of the repair; both parts and labor and make a decision to have them do it or attempt to do so yourself.

Another thing that may help you, is to use the built-in Recovery Partitions that most modern computers have hidden on the hard drives. If your hard drive has not failed, you can restore your computer to the version of Windows that came with it when you got it new, less all your programs and data. From there, you can run the Compatibility Test, and after resolving all issues, reapply your W10 upgrade or do a Clean Install of W10 from bootable Media, which we can tell you how to make.
***IF YOU HAVEN'T BACKED UP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA, I WOULDN'T SUGGEST THIS LAST METHOD AS THE WINDOWS FACTORY REINSTALLATION FROM RECOVERY PARTITION WILL WIPE EVERYTHING OUT: BOTH PROGRAMS AND DATA!!***

Let us know how it goes, and post back with any questions you have. We are here 24x7x365!

Best of luck,:cheerful:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back