Windows 10 Help with fixing "Error 0x80070780: the file cannot be accessed by the system".

dan1990

Recently, my windows 10 computer suddenly stopped functioning properly i.e. no applications would load and I wasn't able to open any files. I decided that I'll need to perform a factory reset on my computer. I rebooted the computer in safe mode so that I could back up all the files (I'm only able to do this through safe mode as booting windows 10 normally means that I'm not able to open any applications). There are 2 different user accounts on my pc, one for me and one for my brother. When copying all files over to a USB stick, I found that all the files on my account were copied over fine. However, for every individual document on my brother's account the error message "0x80070780: the file cannot be accessed by the system" pops up whenever I try to copy it over to the USB. The same message occurred when I tried restoring windows to a previous version, meaning I couldn't do this either. I have looked online for some solutions to the problem, but most of them involve the installation of some third party software. My problem is that I'm not able to download anything onto my computer as Windows will only function through safe mode. So, is anyone able to suggest: what the cause of this problem is, why it is only occurring on one account but not the other, and any solutions I can take to be able to copy over the files from my brother's account onto a USB? Thanks.

When you tried to copy your brother's files to the USB were you using your account or his account?
Which one is the administrator account?

You can use a Linux live-DVD/USB flash drive to copy your brother's files.

When you tried to copy your brother's files to the USB were you using your account or his account?
Which one is the administrator account?

You can use a Linux live-DVD/USB flash drive to copy your brother's files.
I was using my brother's account. Both accounts are administrator accounts. I tried copying over to a USB flash drive but got the same error. Any advice?

I was using my brother's account. Both accounts are administrator accounts. I tried copying over to a USB flash drive but got the same error. Any advice?

I forgot about One Drive. You can follow this video tutorial to save your files online (there are more tutorials on YouTube) and then access them from a different device:

Back