Windows 7 Help with "reopen the last browsing session"

RIPSNORT

I'm using Windows 8 but the reason I'm in here asking the following question is because I was told I could use a download to fix the "reopen the last browsing session" which is greyed out in IE10.
Here's the site I took the download from -
Internet Explorer Reopen Last Browsing Session - Disable or Enable - Windows 7 Help Forums

... and I downloaded the following ...
Using a REG File Download
1. To Enable Reopen Last Browsing Session in IE for All Users
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
Enable_IE_Reopen_Last_Browsing_Session.reg

(End quote)

Interesting thing is - I've downloaded this before and installed it. I did the same tonight - downloaded it and installed it again.

My question is by doing that, have I put something into the Registry twice and if so, does anyone know where to go and take it out.
I have made a backup of the Registry before I installed it again - if I should have to use my backup, do I open the Regedit and import my backup? I'm asking this because I've never used a backup of the Registry before.
But if needs be, would it not be easier to go into the Registry if needed and simply remove what might be installed two times in there.
Advice will be appreciated I'm sure.​

Theses are the two keys it adds:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery]
"NoReopenLastSession"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery]
"NoReopenLastSession"=-

You can just run regedit, search for them and delete them.

Just to be sure - I delete *both* and not one. I suppose a dumb question but want to be sure. Thanks for your reply!

Also, the fact that I installed it twice, does that mean it would simply overwrite in the Registry what was already there or would it go in twice?

Last edited:
Weird and wonderful - went into the Registry where advised to go, and no "reopenlastsession" found in either place. I did a search and found it once in IE and deleted it. Wonderful!!!
Now what does one do to get back the "restore last session" - meaning - not having it greyed out?

Back