Windows 7 Hi-speed USB 2.0 not recognised

savocado

Hello fellow Win7 users

Win7 *suddenly* stopped recognising my USB ports as high speed ones and now it copies files at speeds <700kb/s.

Before it all happened I could copy files at up to 35mb/s.

How can i fix this?

Thanks.

Hi savocado,
could you post a little more detail on your problem?

Whats you computer spec? Make and model?

Did you install, download or change anything before noticing the change in speeds?

Have you tried using a different USB port?

My computer is an Acer Aspire 3682WXMi laptop. I'm running Win7 RTM build 7600.

I tried different ports - same thing going on. I'll have a think about software I might have installed.

Is there any other info I should provide?

Thanks

Did you try a different USB port?

Also when you loaded up windows 7, did you install all your drivers too?

Did you try a different USB port?

Also when you loaded up windows 7, did you install all your drivers too?

i tried different ports, it works all crap with all of my devices :(

I've installed all of the drivers that win7 got form the net.

When did you notice that something was amiss? Did you do something before hand, like download an update or change any settings?

When did you notice that something was amiss? Did you do something before hand, like download an update or change any settings?

I wasn't messing about with the USB settings or any hardware configuration.

I've installed recently a few apps like Skype an the Last.fm taskbar thingee, but the apps dont even access USB.

Still not sure what could have happened. Someone told me that the same issuee happend to him on WinXP and he wasnt able to find a fix.

What is the exact message when inserting a USB device?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I have just pluged in a USB device trying to get this error again, but everything is OK now and the speeds are faine again. Weird.

So I guess, the topic should now be what could have been the problem.

Thanks for the info :)

Things you could try...

check the screenshot and you'll see where you can 'reset the hub'...

System restore... Restore your system to an earlier time and see if that cures your USB ills.

Re-install your chipset drivers. I would hazard a guess that you'll have to use vista drivers but these are usually fine. You'll find the latest versions for your machine from the laptop makers website.

Scan for virus/spyware activity.

Lastly, unplug your device, reboot a few times and then plug it back in. (this 'sometimes' works)

I'll be back online a little later so if the above is no help please post back and let me know..

LOL.....

Well one of my suggestions was.....

'Lastly, unplug your device, reboot a few times and then plug it back in. (this 'sometimes' works)'

Well alls well that ends well...:D

Last edited:
It's been so long, it's hard to remember.

I'm not certain whether the USB device needs to be 2.0 compliant or the hub need to be 2.0 compliant.

Take a look at this screen capture.

You'll notice there are only 2 USB2 Enhanced Host Controllers.

Was this working correctly before the Windows 7 Installation?

usb problem

I HAVE a siilar problem still cant fix it, i have 4 usb ports, says in device manager 3 are usb 1.1 and 1 is 2.o (windows 7 64bit) by the way and i have a hp pavillion dv8301nr, now when ever i connect something to the ports it says device not recognized. i tried 3 dif hard drives and nothing. basically it says that my device has malfiunctioned, device not recognized. for EVERYTHING, so i am living without usb. i tried everything (yes including turning off laptop)

I HAVE a siilar problem still cant fix it, i have 4 usb ports, says in device manager 3 are usb 1.1 and 1 is 2.o (windows 7 64bit) by the way and i have a hp pavillion dv8301nr, now when ever i connect something to the ports it says device not recognized. i tried 3 dif hard drives and nothing. basically it says that my device has malfiunctioned, device not recognized. for EVERYTHING, so i am living without usb. i tried everything (yes including turning off laptop)

Hi,
have you checked that they haven't been turned off in the bios for some reason? Also what are your chipset drivers like? Did you install the latest version?

Back